IGNORED

240Z hatch support strut question

Grubb240Z

I stopped by motorsport auto today and picked up a replacement strut for the hatch on my 1970 240Z. When I opened it at home I realized it was different from the original strut in how it attaches to the car. At first I thought they gave me the wrong one, but now I think this is their suggested replacement.

The original used a simple bolt and nut where it attaches to the body and a pressed pin to attach a “wishbone” to a bracket on the decklid. The new one uses a ball and socket connection on both sides. I assume it will work fine, but I am a little concerned about the extra torque it will put on the brackets - especially the one attached to the door opening, which already feels a little weak.

Has anybody else used this type of strut? Is there a reasonably priced replacement that is identical to the original?IMG_0004.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Wow – that’s EXACTLY the kind of thread I was looking for. I don’t know why I didn’t find it when I searched before creating my own thread.

Anyway, it looks just like the one I bought at Motorsport Auto for $50. And yours he uses exactly the same type of mounting.

I guess one thing I should be concerned about is that my car has aluminum louvers (and spoiler) on the back window. I wonder if that extra weight will overwhelm even a brand new spring. I am guessing the louvers have been there for many years, or possibly since the car was new. I have no way of knowing if the strut worked properly in its early years, but it hasn’t worked since we bought the car a month ago.

Image1515080201.847310.jpg.9658024d9f511b0ebf95c35a96b2c49d.jpg

Edited by Grubbs240

Here is a recent thread I did on a new hatch lift. Not sure if the original design is available, this is the one I ordered, hard to beat at $21.00
Works perfectly. https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/strong-arm-4313-gas-charged-nissan-hatchback-lift-support-strut-10029w/
[/url]  

I just placed an order for the same strut. A question that came up in my mind right after we hung up is this: do the proper ball end shafts come in the kit? I see a little bag with them in it in your photo so I am hopeful they do. Did the nuts come with them?

1 hour ago, Grubbs240 said:

I just placed an order for the same strut. A question that came up in my mind right after we hung up is this: do the proper ball end shafts come in the kit? I see a little bag with them in it in your photo so I am hopeful they do. Did the nuts come with them?

Yes the ball studs come with the lift strut, at least they came with mine. That strut will have no problem lifting your hatch with a spoiler and louvers, very strong smooth unit but it isn't hard to close. That's why I had to replace the original lift, the spoiler was just a little too heavy for it and it was 45yrs old so it did its job well for a long time.

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Yes the ball studs come with the lift strut, at least they came with mine. That strut will have no problem lifting your hatch with a spoiler and louvers, very strong smooth unit but it isn't hard to close. That's why I had to replace the original lift, the spoiler was just a little too heavy for it and it was 45yrs old so it did its job well for a long time.

I called a while after placing the order. They told me that the hardware wasn't included. But the guy I talked to said he was going to throw a couple in the box. Sounds like they are pretty short, which makes me happier. The shorter they are, the less torque they'll apply to the brackets, which weren't made for it. As long as I don't run into any clearance problems...

Good news is that they are right here in So. Cal so I should have it tomorrow or the next day - they said they'd get it out in today's shipment.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:10 AM, grannyknot said:

Here is a recent thread I did on a new hatch lift. Not sure if the original design is available, this is the one I ordered, hard to beat at $21.00

Works perfectly. https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/strong-arm-4313-gas-charged-nissan-hatchback-lift-support-strut-10029w/

Thanks for the great advice, Grannyknot. I installed the strut and it works great. Even with the additional weight of our louvres and ducktail, it is easy to lift and even lifts itself from about 2/3 of the way up - I'm perfectly happy with that.

That's one upgrade down, 199,999,999 left to go!

45 minutes ago, Grubb240Z said:

Thanks for the great advice, Grannyknot. I installed the strut and it works great. Even with the additional weight of our louvres and ducktail, it is easy to lift and even lifts itself from about 2/3 of the way up - I'm perfectly happy with that.

Looks good, the replacement strut lift is charged with gas and oil and the manufacturer recommends installing  180 degrees from where you have it now so the rubber seals are always lubricated, probably not a big deal but thought I would mention it.

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Looks good, the replacement strut lift is charged with gas and oil and the manufacturer recommends installing  180 degrees from where you have it now so the rubber seals are always lubricated, probably not a big deal but thought I would mention it.

I have also read that. I installed it the way I did because it's how the manufacturer instructed it to be done. I might just flip it around, though. Thanks for the reminder.