IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

I got nothing but over pressure in the fuel line.

I don’t think the injectors are getting the electrical signal to fire. 

If "over pressure" means above 37 psi then you either have a blockage on the return line or your hoses are connected backward at the fuel filter.  You're pumping in to the back end of the FPR.

Added the second test on Pin 1, the signal to the ECU to open the injectors.

About the AFM - The pin numbers are molded in to the connector on the AFM.  Here's a picture of the test with resistance readings.  EF-51 in the 76 manual, will be close in 77.  Test your other two AFM's first and if one is good you'll know you have a suitable replacement.

You can't piece-meal the EFI system testing.  Make a list, sit down with your meter, get all of the numbers.  The EFI guide is better for that than the FSM.  It's more focused.  I linked to the 1980 book, which covers all years up to 1980.

Good luck.  

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

Zed Head, 

Yeah, pressure was up around 55 psi.  So high it actually started leaking out of a few connections and spraying all over.  

Thanks for the gouge on the AFM testing.  I’m going to test my other AFMs when I’m back in Memphis.  

I don’t think the fuel rail is clogged because I took it apart and I blew through all the lines.  I took before and after pics so I think it’s installed correctly but at this point I’m not sure about anything on that rail anymore. I’m considering dumping that rail anyway and getting one like Cliff recommended,  I looked around and see that there are many options.  Do you guys have a recommendations?  I like the clean look took of a aftermarket rail.  Those aftermarket rails seem so less complicated.  I don’t have time to build my own just want to buy it ready to install.  

So....

1. Rebuild all connections

2. Test AFM 

3. Put in new rail. 

What do you guys think about installing an electronic ignition in the distributor and dumping the points?  Was reading about that but only saw references to 240z and not 280z.  I ran in to a guy that had an old international scout and he put on in his distributor and said his car runs so much better. 

Oh jezz these AFMs are year specific.  I know one of the extras I have came off a 1978. This guy had a 78 that he bought for 5k and sold for 28k it was a Black Pearl edition and he converted it to carbs.  This is where all my extra parts came from.   I’ll have to look at numbers when I’m back in Memphistan.  

10 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Yeah, pressure was up around 55 psi.  So high it actually started leaking out of a few connections and spraying all over.  

I took before and after pics so I think it’s installed correctly but at this point I’m not sure about anything on that rail anymore.

I'll sound like an arse here but if you can't figure out the factory rail an aftermarket rail won't be easier.  They're the same basic thing, just a different shape.

Follow the hose from the bottom of the FPR back toward the filter.  It should not be connected to the filter, it should connect to a line that heads back toward the tank.

Sounding like an arse again, but you'll have the same types of problems with carbs.

1 minute ago, siteunseen said:

Here's a good read when you can.  Check out Blue's #2 post. He made one for free from the stock rail. Mine cost me $50 in material. If you can find one for $100 buy it. If they're $200 I'll make you one. LOL

I forgot the link!

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/41136-make-a-fuel-rail/

3 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I'll sound like an arse here but if you can't figure out the factory rail an aftermarket rail won't be easier.  They're the same basic thing, just a different shape.

Follow the hose from the bottom of the FPR back toward the filter.  It should not be connected to the filter, it should connect to a line that heads back toward the tank.

Sounding like an arse again, but you'll have the same types of problems with carbs.

'77s fpr are inline, the hose on bottom is the vacuum line.

I think he wants a simple look?  Not just another fuel rail.

He saw mine!  Heh heh, I'm a simpleton.