IGNORED

ignition wiring

joe newsom

Hello guys, I am in need of your help. I have searched this site and google for help on this topic ( search not too user friendly for me on this site, must not be doing something right) I have a 71 240z that was an automatic so there is some extra wiring and relay in part of this problem, I am converting to manual. Another problem is that some of the wiring was charred, I took pics and tried not getting things mixed up. The wiring to the coil and distributor does not resemble the FSM, the FSM does not have 2 B/W wires 

from the harness by the driver side horn I have as the following

2 B/W stripe wires- one going to the + on the coil and the other going to the resistor 

1 B wire going to 6 pin plug which goes to timing relay for Automatic Transmission then I believe it is connected to another black wire in that 6 pin plug going to Distributor (not sure where)

1 Y wire that I believe goes the temp sensor

1 G wire going to 6 pin plug for A/T relay then one red wire leaves the plug going the  neg terminal on coil and a wire is spliced going to Distributor (not sure where)

1 G/W stripe going to the other side of the resistor.

any tips or guidance would be very appreciated 

6 hours ago, joe newsom said:

71 240z that was an automatic

wiring was charred,

The wiring to the coil and distributor does not resemble the FSM, the FSM does not have 2 B/W wires 

from the harness by the driver side horn I have as the following

2 B/W stripe wires- one going to the + on the coil and the other going to the resistor 

1 B wire going to 6 pin plug which goes to timing relay for Automatic Transmission then I believe it is connected to another black wire in that 6 pin plug going to Distributor (not sure where)

1 Y wire that I believe goes the temp sensor

1 G wire going to 6 pin plug for A/T relay then one red wire leaves the plug going the  neg terminal on coil and a wire is spliced going to Distributor (not sure where)

1 G/W stripe going to the other side of the resistor.

Is it a 71 or does it have a 71 build date?  Have you looked at the 72 diagrams?

There aren't many wires.  A multimeter would answer a lot of questions.  The B/W wires are probably the Start and Run power to the coil.  Y is probably the temperature sender.  B is usually ground.

Is it a 71 or does it have a 71 build date?  Have you looked at the 72 diagrams?
There aren't many wires.  A multimeter would answer a lot of questions.  The B/W wires are probably the Start and Run power to the coil.  Y is probably the temperature sender.  B is usually ground.

I have not seen one wire diagram that shows a black with a white strip wire going to distributor or coil. Or a green with whit stripe?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Here's the diagram from the Body Electrical chapter, from the downloadable file on the site.  BE-4.

Sorry to be so in-your-face but it really was in my face as soon as I looked at it. It's from 1970 though.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head