IGNORED

Battery Area Rust

87mj

I have an old car that has surface rust on the battery tray area but the sheet metal in this area is very solid. I am in the process of stripping the car to the shell.  A body shop will be media blasting the entire shell.

Does blasting remove the acid from the sheet metal or should I rinse the area with something to reduce the PH?  Am I over thinking this?  :)

Thanks

Edited by 87mj

That's a good question, I'm pretty sure the blasting will remove any contamination from the acid but it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some baking soda around the area if it is going to be a while before the basting gets done. Try as you might, you can never get the rust out of the seams unless the spot welds are drilled out and the panels separated. Media blasting or even chemical dipping only gets the visible rust.