IGNORED

Fuel pump not working

SeanT

I went to start up my 1976 280z and it didnt fire up, so i checked the spark and it was fine. So i took off the cover of the air flow sensor to check the fuel pump and i heard the relay click but not the fuel pump. So i took the pump out and it works  then checked the power to it and had 11.8 or 11.3 volts or something. I plain to re hook up the pump to the connectors to see if it works now, and there was just something in it that i shook lose when i took it out. Is there anything else i should check or another shut off for the pump.         -Thank You 

You checked power at the pump itself?  Back by the tank? 

Check the ground circuit also.  If you used a convenient metal spot as your ground you might have overlooked the ground wire for the pump.

And are you sure that the pump was not working?  You could loosen a hose clamp at the filter and see if there's pressure.  Looks like you just assumed there no pressure because you had spark.

I took the hose off after the filter and there was no pressure. I had almost 12v back at the tank. I took the pump out and put it to a battery and it works. I didnt check to see if there was 12v at the tank before taking out the pump.