IGNORED

1973 Flat Top Tuning Info

:blush:

Thanks so much Philip @240260280 and @Lumens----but really, I still have so much to learn.

I've understood about half of the TSB. It is a loooooong step by step with no shortcuts allowed--quite different from the earlier Hitachi carbs.

The many adjustments required are probably responsible for the maligned reputation as " boat anchors"

As you know, I have gotten the flat tops running fairly well.

Now--- I know that the fuel nozzles are currently nowhere near the correct setting of .118---one is at .074 and the other at .051---just waiting to do a removal and adjustment as they are internal to the carb and cannot be adjusted while installed. I think once that is done they will really show some performance.

Nevertheless, they have already made it from Bentonville, Arkansas to Austin, Texas for ZCON 2017,  through the great Circuit of the Americas parade (?????) laps (where my "optimistic" speedometer read 104 mph down the straight  :TRUCDEOUF: ) and back home with no issues.

(except for the flat rear tire from a utility knife blade in Killeen, TX on the way down----thank goodness for @S30Driver and @MikeW and @Captain Obvious).

Running a 73 240Z with flat tops and points  :huh:  and stock springs may put me in the "old geezer" record books on the COTA track for a while to come. :P  (Not sure anyone else would care to challenge that with a run of their own)

Great fun! Let's do it again in Atlanta 2018!!

Thanks again for the TSB---much appreciated! I will refer to it often.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zup said:

the fuel nozzles are currently nowhere near the correct setting of .118---one is at .074 and the other at .051

Whaaaaa?? This should be long fixed by now!

I know it's a lot more fun to drive the thing than to work on it*, but you've got to bite the bullet sometime. Haha!!  LOL

* (except for @siteunseen who has claimed he would rather work on them than drive them)

You are so right Bruce!

I am the world's worst when it comes to taking the Z off the road for any amount of time.

Each day that I don't drive it is like that day is really missing something----sorta like going to work without your pants on!    :ermm:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

* (except for @siteunseen who has claimed he would rather work on them than drive them)

I finally drove it to the Christmas dramas I have to attend each year.  I assume it was like bringing a baby for the first time, everybody knows but have never actually seen it.  That car pushed my cool uncle level to the ceiling, I didn't think it could be any higher. ROFL

After years of being bypassed, having a good heater is nice when I have to ride with the window down.  I have a complete weaterstripping kit from MSA just not the desire. :(