IGNORED

Interesting 1973 E88 240z head info

Thanks to @Lumens, I was able to scan the 1973 TSB Nissan Publication.

An interesting TSB on the E88 head change for Feb 1973 shows a larger combustion chamber where the piston extends into.

The compression height of the piston is longer so that the piston's deck height is greater by 0.7mm.  If you need more "squish" on a 240z with E31 or early E88, seek out these pistons!

image.jpeg

I plan to put my numbers matching L24 back in the car. This I think will help to sell it.

In doing so I had the block bored out and fitted with .040 pistons. P/N 12010-H2716.

Not sure now if these are going to extend above the block deck.

I am also not sure what they mean by 'these items are not interchangeable.

Would those be the ones with the bigger rod bolts?  I bought a '73 motor just for the round tops and pleasantly surprised to find the later E88 head and the better rods, now maybe better pistons too.  Now to figure out what to do with all this mish mash of parts I have coming out the windows of my storage building. :)

25 minutes ago, Lumens said:

I plan to put my numbers matching L24 back in the car. This I think will help to sell it.

In doing so I had the block bored out and fitted with .040 pistons. P/N 12010-H2716.

Not sure now if these are going to extend above the block deck.

I am also not sure what they mean by 'these items are not interchangeable.

If you are concerned, you can always shave the pistons .010 inches or so. The crush on the stock head gasket is about .055 inches, so clearance should be adequate......I would think C/R should be bumped.....not the head lol......that's a good thing!

12 hours ago, madkaw said:

Only way to know for sure is to measure

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

What I meant as far as measure is to install a piston in the block on the crankshaft and measure the ‘pop out’ of the block. I would be surprised if any additional thickness of HG would be necessary .