IGNORED

Heater Issues

280zzzzz

I recently blew an interior heater hose, and while under the dash, I thought it would be prudent to look at the heater core and valve at the same time.

Core is ok, and the control valve is not leaking. The lever on the valve can be moved relatively easily.

The issue I have is the dash hot/cold lever is very stiff to move... Possibly corrosion btwn actuator rod and cable housing? I have tried penetrating fluid with rod/cable still installed wit

Not

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

It's a big job but in every Z's life that console panel with the heat and vent levers has to come off and be cleaned and lubed, that also gives you a chance to check the push/pull cables (stiff wire rods) clean and lube them as well.  You have to detach the wire cables at the heater box in four locations, it is a pain because you have to cram yourself up into the foot wells under the dash.  You may also find that the problem lies in the heater box itself and not the control panel. There are also some good threads in the archives that go through the procedure.

It's a big job but in every Z's life that console panel with the heat and vent levers has to come off and be cleaned and lubed, that also gives you a chance to check the push/pull cables (stiff wire rods) clean and lube them as well.  You have to detach the wire cables at the heater box in four locations, it is a pain because you have to cram yourself up into the foot wells under the dash.  You may also find that the problem lies in the heater box itself and not the control panel. There are also some good threads in the archives that go through the procedure.

I figured that removing those push/pull cables and immersing them in penetrating fluid was the answer.

I have read various write ups about removal/install procedure.

The way the Owners manual author implies the ease of these procedures, is another excellent example of the Japanese sense of humour- and the opportunity to perfect our patience and contortion skills while doing a headstand in a confined space....