IGNORED

nice 71 in corvallis, oregon

sweatybetty

The listing states the following:

"1971 Datsun 240Z, 81k original miles, Run and Drive, Rust free ( battery tray, floor panels, and trunk are all perfect), Perfect dashboard with no crakes. all the gauges are working, Original engine with an original carburetor, the Carburetor was rebuilt last year, has most of the receipts.
it has a salvage title due to a hit on the driver side, the Frame is straight. Interior: 9/10, Exterior: 7/10 ( some bubbles in the paint ) asking price: 11,500 OBO "

Looking at the pictures, this car looks to be a pretty solid Series I car and the interior looks good. However the "perfect dashboard" has the worst kind of dash cap - a "half cap", so it just covers the top, so more than likely there are cracks underneath. The engine bay has been spray-canned black, so what is the car's original color? Has a '72-'73 console and a Series II steering wheel. 

It would be good to see some pictures of the underside of the car.

00606_1qWf5Ehfv8l_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_FkLSSHkBLC_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_3BX8pdOqMf4_1200x900.jpg

00S0S_9WjM88k604z_1200x900.jpg

00404_47bAZNiqeJf_1200x900.jpg

35 minutes ago, lonetreesteve said:

Ha Ha, very funny.  The point that I was trying to make that the seller, in the very least, is being disingenuous by stating that the car had a crack-free dash and by not mentioning that it has a dash cap.

Ah, yeah, I didn't read the ad, and I see now that it explicitly says the dash has no cracks. Either the owner is an idiot that thinks no one will notice the VERY obvious dash cap, or he is an idiot that didn't notice the VERY obvious dash cap. That's my take, anyway.

Actually, he explicitly says the dash has no "crakes". So I'll offer up a third possibility in addition to the two much more highly probable suggestions listed above - Maybe "crakes" wasn't a typo and actually means something to the guy who wrote the ad.  LOL  I'm Captain Obvious, and I approve this message.

Biggest problem for me is the salvage title. Unless you wash it by questionable and/or unethical means, it'll haunt that car forever.

PS - Not sure if this is the case or not, but something about that ad makes me think that the person who wrote that ad isn't the same person that owns the car. Not sure what it is, but I get that vibe.

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Actually, he explicitly says the dash has no "crakes". So I'll offer up a third possibility in addition to the two much more highly probable suggestions listed above - Maybe "crakes" wasn't a typo and actually means something to the guy who wrote the ad.  LOL  I'm Captain Obvious, and I approve this message.

Biggest problem for me is the salvage title. Unless you wash it by questionable and/or unethical means, it'll haunt that car forever.

PS - Not sure if this is the case or not, but something about that ad makes me think that the person who wrote that ad isn't the same person that owns the car. Not sure what it is, but I get that vibe.

I get the same vibe. And this one definitely falls under the old "caveat emptor": Let the Buyer Beware!