IGNORED

Hesitation during acceleration

DC871F

82 NA, hesitation during acceleration. Runs fine at highway speeds, intermediate speeds other than acceleration. Car sat for many years and finally back on the road. New injectors, new EGR, 02 sensor, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel rail, fuel tank, cap, rotor, plugs, wires.

Water temperature is normal, vacuum lines are intact. All electric connectors are tight, but some have the 30 year curse on them where the connector boots are deteriorated. ECU light operational (fast blinking).

Have not opened up the AFM or changed ignition module. Doesnt seem like a distributor problem, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks for any help.

Google "blue's tech tips" click on electrical I think, maybe efi? but he has all the grounds listed that you should shine up. $0 dollars so that's the best place to start.  

A guy just a couple of days ago couldn't get his injectors to squirt. Cleaned an efi ground on the intake now his car is running.

Could be a clogged air filter or exhaust too.  Somebody will figure it on here.  We enjoy the chase. Merry Christmas.

I guess you're right, enjoying the chase, in between making Christmas gifts. Resurrected this car from a junk yard, almost zero rust, 119,000 miles, all complete. Everything works, sat for 20 years. If I can get it to accelerate smooth, its done.

I'll check it out, thank you.

Merry Christmas

20171204_172122.jpg

20171204_172133.jpg

I believe those year dizzys were problematic as far as the inside guys sticking and breaking , so I would guess ignition issue FIRST before anything else. Could possibly be mechanical advance issue. Need to open up that dizzy and look

• Like 1

6 hours ago, madkaw said:

I believe those year dizzys were problematic as far as the inside guys sticking and breaking , so I would guess ignition issue FIRST before anything else. Could possibly be mechanical advance issue. Need to open up that dizzy and look

Its very clean inside dizzy, so before I got the car running I just installed new cap, rotor and wires with new plugs. I just got done inspecting vacuum advance, and I cant get it to move with a vacuum bleeder. Suck on the hose and it pulls air through (no holes in the hose). It operated normal with a flat blade screw driver, returns fine, I'm thinking if its pulling air through the hose, it must be jacked up. 

Thanks for all the replies.

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@DC871F What's the story with the white 240 you have hiding in the back ground?  Looks like its in very nice shape.

73 240, in the middle of restoration. Very low miles, all original. The ZX was a side diversion, that turned into a mini project. I have had a few 240's back in the day, then I got into ZX's about 20 years ago. So when I found the 82 sitting and wasting away, I remembered how good the ZX's were and couldn't resist. They are not a 240, but a great car in there own right.

20170215_175543.jpg

20170215_175602.jpg

20170215_175552.jpg

Edited by DC871F

I have a 1983 280zx that did the same thing. Hesitation when cold then ran smoother when it warmed up. I took some advise and went to Walmart and purchased Berryman file system cleaner. It fixed my problem. It’s cheap I now add a can with each tank of gas. The car runs smoothly hot or cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile