IGNORED

'72 or '73 wire harness to coil, need photo

Stanley

Engine was running but no lights, tach, etc. There's some confusion about what wire goes where.  There's a green/white wire, some others, colors faded so not sure. Don't have a good photo of how it was. It's the harness for the coil, ballast resistor and distributor. There's also some wires for deleted smog stuff. We've got the schematic but it would be a big help to have a good photo of stock wires. It's a '73 but I think '72 was the same.

I take pictures of everything - except the stock wires to my coil and ballast resistor. I think the mechanic got confused by all the extra wires (for the long-ago deleted dual-point distributor). He un-taped the harness to get rid of the crappy-looking extra wires. I Googled it but no good-enough picture. Main trouble seems to be that there are two B/W wires. One goes to the coil +, and one goes to the ballast resistor. Sometimes it's better to not know anything. Then you're careful.

72OrigIng.jpg

Did you see this one?   

post-22497-1415081391464_thumb.jpg

Could you go backwards from Blue's Tech Tip on the ZX swap?  He's got the 240 wiring at the bottom of the page.  I put a junkyard ZX dizzy on my '77 and had to swap the OE one back in after finding ball bearings stuck to the stator.  I read it in reverse, wrote everything down then did the change back.  

Good luck, I know you ready to drive. :)

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

Thanks Steve, we might need to do that.

It doesn't matter which wire is connected to which end of the ballast resistor as long as they are the correct two wires, correct ?  I think there's supposed to be a green wire with a white stripe, and a black wire with a white stripe on the ballast resistor, a black wire with a white stripe to the coil +, and a black wire from the coil - to the distributor. It was easy to tell what went where before the harness was un-taped. The length of the wires should provide a good clue.

Yes, Site, I've seen those two  photos. Unless StinkyCheeze confused the + and - terminals on the coil, which seems unlikely, he's got the black wire with the white stripe on the wrong terminal of the coil.

This is from Friday - totally wrong:

DSCF0350.JPG

I notice from the schematic that when the wires are disconnected from the ballast, the Run and Start BW wires are disconnected, circuit-wise, electrically.  So you could disconnect the ballast of all wires, then check for voltage at the BW wires.  One will have power at Run, and one will have power at Start.  Then you can use the schematic to connect them properly.