IGNORED

77 280z rust free original unmolested parting out in Las Vegas

tzagi1

I just picked up an all original unmolested complete 77 280z 5 speed (will be taking possession on Sunday)
Very straight and rust free, it been sitting in a backyard for over 15 years, a lot of the paint has peeled/peeling  and there is very minor surface rust here and there, too bad as this car it totally restorable...but there is no title and no way to locate the registered "owner" so it will go for parts.
Willing to cut off and ship body parts such as the roof, core support, back end ect.
Hit me up at tzagi1@gmail.com
Pics will be available next week.
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great platform for a project, but I'd be careful buying this car. With no title and no way to get in touch with the real owner, I'd be worried about how to actually legally buy the car.

What state is the car currently titled in? Most states have provisions for "abandon" vehicles. Is that what this one is?

• Like 1

According to the person I got it from...it belonged to his brother in law, his sister got it in the divorce and he disappeared with the pink and keys never to be seen again.as in parts unknown.. its a nevada car and yes..I'd say it qualifies as abandoned. 

PS as it wasn't registered for over 10years its no longer in the dmvs computer.

57 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Is there anything in the divorce paperwork that shows the car legally went to her? 

There should be, and I agree with the above. It would be a real shame to a ruin a rust free car in the form of cut-off body parts if it could be legitimately titled instead.

If the car was really hers to sell, then you should be able to get the proper paperwork to get it legitimately titled. Keep in mind, however, that just because a buyer calls a car "abandoned", it doesn't make it so. It's not up to the buyer to make that distinction.

The NV DMV guidelines state that abandoned vehicles can be removed by a licensed NV wrecker who fills out all the appropriate paperwork and places a lien against the vehicle owner. And if the vehicle was on private property, there's more:  "If an abandoned vehicle has been towed as a result of a property owner or property manager's request to remove an abandoned vehicle from their private property, a "PRIVATE PROPERTY ABANDONED VEHICLE RELEASE" (POR) form is required by the Department as proof of a private property abandoned vehicle impound."

But back to the original belief that "she" owns the car. You can't "abandon" your own vehicle on your own property. If you're there, then it's not abandoned. You can have your own car hauled off as scrap (and there's forms for that too), but you can't proclaim your own vehicle as abandoned. It's a divide by zero error.

So if she truly owns the car outright, then she should be able to sell it to you with the proper paperwork. If this vehicle changed possession (note that I did not say "ownership") with some cash and a handshake between two people, neither of whom names appear on the title, then it didn't really change ownership. If that's how it works, then I could "sell" my neighbor's old car that hasn't been titled for ten years.

And there's a name for places that cut up and sell parts of a car that they never truly owned....

Ref:
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp263.pdf
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/wreckertow.pdf

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Is there anything in the divorce paperwork that shows the car legally went to her? 

This is the story I got, Is it true? who knows. the car was sold to me as "for parts" no title" if I am to seek title...I'm on my own.

Cap, I'm fully familiar with lien sales (did more then a few in the day), however...I don't have a shop and I know of no one that will do it for me.

For now...parting it out is off as I'll be looking for ways to title it first, if that fails...its back to plan A

• Like 1

A bill of sale isn't worth anything if the person on the selling end of the agreement isn't in the legal position to sell the vehicle.

For example, I can give a buyer a BOS as I sell him my sister's car. But since I never owned my sister's car in the first place and didn't have the authority to sell it in the first place, that BOS is simply a worthless piece of paper that has some words and a couple signatures on it.

Or my sister could sell her ex-husband's car out from under him and give the buyer a BOS. But since she never had the authority to sell it in the first place, again... worthless piece of paper that has some words on it.

I hope you can get an honest legitimate title for the car. It would be a shame to take a rust free example out of the shrinking pool and cut it up.

• Like 1