IGNORED

Tire Dangers

Talk about a tire enema! I wonder how many were new vs used? I always wear safety goggles but makes me think I should were a bomb blast suit. 

I have an old 4x4 with 35" tires and they hold Heck of a lot of air

Almost all of those failures are in heavy duty truck tires. I worked as a diesel mechanic one summer and dealt with split rims a lot. They can be exceedingly dangerous!!! That ring will take your head clean off if it's not seated properly. They also run really high air pressures. Most over 100-120 #'s. That makes for a dangerous combination. That's why they have those cages to air them up in. To prevent these types of accidents. I wonder if the normal tires that blew up were filled with propane or were severely over inflated?

On a different note, it is amazing how much abuse the human body can take...

5 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Anyone remember GMC split rims? They liked to separate under pressure if they weren't seated properly.

My dad's '67 GMC still has its split rims. Doubt I could find anyone who is willing to put new tires on. Easier to just get new rims and tires.