IGNORED

window crank system

Richard McDonel

I'm fortunate to have two driver's door window-lift mechanisms.  The sad part is that each is  missing a piece.  One is missing the coiled spring, and the other is missing one of the little plastic idler wheels.  A parts swap is logical, but I am unsure as to how to remove either one. 

As for the spring, has anyone removed that?  How much tension is it under, and how far will it unwind if removed?  Is there a tool for re-installing?

With the idler wheel (I'm sure I'm using the wrong name, but if you've had one of these apart, you'll know what I'm talking about),  can anyone suggest some way of removing it without destroying?

Many thanks

Search this site for Grannyknot's write-up on refurbishing.  These lift mechanisms are called 'regulators', so first go to GK's postings and then search on that word.  The hard-plastic idler wheels can be replaced (with units from a cabinet drawer 'slide', IIRC).  However, the mounting shaft takes a lot of load, so you'll need to either work towards a light interference fit (maybe assisted by some Loctite 'stud mount' anaerobic) or tack the end with a MIG weld.

As for the spring:

After the regulator is un-wound to the point where the gear rack comes loose from the pinion gear, the spring doesn't really have that much tension on it.  Once the gear rack comes free of the pinion gear, the remaining spring tension will go to zero after the lever arm has rotated about another 30 degrees or so.  At that point, you can just pluck the spring out of the slot in the centre shaft.  When you're re-assembling, it's pretty easy to load the lever by hand so that the gear rack comes in contact with the pinion gear.  At that point, you can just start turning the window crank handle to feed the gear rack back into full engagement.

That said, it won't be easy finding a replacement spring all on its own.  If anyone has a spare, they're probably not going to want to sell you just the spring.

• Like 1

When you set out to find a replacement spring, note that the same spring is used for LHS and RHS door.  Once you have the spring, it may not be obvious which way is 'right side up' when you go to install it on its shaft.  The correct installation for both the LHS and RHS regulator is to have the hook on the free end of the spring oriented so that it bears against the bottom of the engagement tab on the main plate.

• Like 1