IGNORED

Successful 240Z Windshield Removal Method!

blur35mm

Successfully removed my '72 240Z windshield this afternoon!  I saw several horror stories and videos of them cracking - but thanks to @gnosez for the advice! 

I did not have stainless trim to remove, but that is the first step.  This also assumes you do not want to retain the rubber seal.  Mine was shot so not worth saving.

Tools you need:  1.  Straight edge razor tool (not a box cutter)  2.  Your two hands.  3.  Blanket

From the outside of the vehicle, I started on the driver side upper corner and with a straight razor blade (not a box cutter rather a tool that exposes the entire edge of the blade) began gently cutting the rubber seal away until the edge of the glass was exposed.  Once I found the edge of the glass, I was able to run the razor down into the rubber along the edge of the glass.  Gently cutting and pulling the rubber material away.  The corners are the thickest material.  You can also push the blade edge towards the roof or cowl to trim the rubber sideways if it will not cut free in some areas.  This is not difficult to do, but it is time consuming.  DO NOT rush it and take your time.  Do not put any sort of pressure on the glass with the blade.  It took me about 2 hours.

Once the entire edge of the glass is exposed and rubber material is cut away, put a blanket on the cowl and ensure all tools are removed from the work area.  Begin GENTLY pushing the windshield from inside the car.  I started in the upper middle area just behind the rear view mirror and gave it several small nudges.  Do not push hard.  Four or five small gentle nudges.  I then moved to the left side and then the right side.  I repeated this cycle about four or five times and the glass eventually let free of the rubber seal.  Do not rush to push it out.  Get out of the car and then remove the rubber molding from the upper left and right corners and check the entire edge because you do not want it to catch.  Once that is free you can lift the glass out.  I was able to lift it by myself, but you may want someone to help you.  Put it in a safe location and grab a celebratory cigar!  Note: In my final picture that is not a crack in the glass - it is a mark in the wood behind it.  Good luck to all!

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

windshield2.jpg

windshield1.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

Edited by blur35mm
  • Like 2

I've removed many Z windshields and always use a box cutter. Never broken or cracked one. It takes just a few minutes. I'll be building a 280Z turbo soon. Is anyone interested in pictures and/or a video with a write-up on removal of the windshield and hatch glass?

Chuck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

fwiw, new glass is available. i had mine replaced for $225 +/- (glass and labor, he came to my shop)  i did provide the new seal

Unbelievable.... it's really frustrating when you know these shields are made (also) in France (EUROPE!!) and here in the Netherlands you have to pay over 600 euro for the windscreen ALONE !!  labor is extra.. :wacko:

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Unbelievable.... it's really frustrating when you know these shields are made (also) in France (EUROPE!!) and here in the Netherlands you have to pay over 600 euro for the windscreen ALONE !!  labor is extra.. :wacko:

Ouch that is crazy.

11 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

holy euros batman! that $711 US

16 hours ago, JSM said:

Ouch that is crazy

8 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

holy euros batman! that $711 US

Yeah, every time it's much cheaper in de States, overhere all carparts are more expensive WHY?? (Netherlands is a small market, USA is enormous...)  Also in Germany it's all cheaper, i had a clutchplate for 40 euro and overhere in the Netherlands its 90 euro... it's crazy...  i can go on and on.. waterpump is overhere 40+ euro. for the cheap stamped impeller that is!  Grrrr...  :angry: