IGNORED

Anyone Have Subaru Output Axle Reviews?

Matthew Abate

I saw on Instagram this morning that someone I follow had a pair of Silvermine Motors Subaru r180 output shafts fail on him before they hit 5,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the quality of these parts. Otherwise, these are the options:

1. The sane option is to get some output shafts that mate the stock half shafts to the Subaru differential. These seem to be limited to the Silvermine ones ($375) or the ones at Futufbab ($550). The Beta Motorsports ones seem to be NLA.

2. The insane option is to get the output shafts at Z Car Depot that mate a Subaru differential to a Porsche 930 CV axle as well as the CV-to-27-spline stub axle that they have ($1,220 for both), buy some 280ZX stub axels ($250 to 500 on eBay although I'm sure I can find them for less), and get some custom 930 axles made ($???)

3. The sketchy option is to get a CV conversion kit that works with what I have and stock Subaru output shafts ($$$ plus a lot of extra bolts and billet aluminum in my driveline).

Edited by Matthew Abate

I haven't run it yet, but I got the 2014 3.9. I think it's the newest one that is limited slip (newer STIs have an open diff). So far what I've found is that you need the input flange and rear mounting studs from a Datsun. I got the studs along with a complete rear cover just in case the Subaru cover has clearance issues against the various parts that are in there. For example, the Subaru vent is really tall and might hit.

I'll be swapping the covers and input flange right after I repaint the case. It was fairly rusty when I got it.

Other than that, you just have to figure out if your going to use Datsun half shafts or CVs. CVs present their own complications, which I covered in my original post.

22 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

I saw on Instagram this morning that someone I follow had a pair of Silvermine Motors Subaru r180 output shafts fail on him before they hit 5,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the quality of these parts.

You should post the details of this "failure".  It's not clear what failed.  "Shaft" can mean the diff stub axle, the u-joint half-shaft, the CV axle, or even the hub axle depending on who's talking.  Axle and shaft get used pretty much willy-nilly.

http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-240z/drivetrain-17/lsd-r180-sti-out-output-flange-conversion-stub-axels

https://zcardepot.com/r180-subaru-axle-set-to-930cv-joint-new.html

Edited by Zed Head

Matthew thanks for the info. I am really curious what Subaru that 2014 3.90 lsd came out of. I have been considering doing this switch over but only information that indicates the 3.90 only came in the 04-05 STI.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

You are correct. I mis-typed and have a 3.54, which is what I wanted because it's the stock ratio for the Z

The first side axle made to allow using the Subaru STI LSD in a 240Z with the stock drive axles was made by John Coffey at Beta Motorsports. John sold the design to Wolf Creek Racing. What Wolf Creek Racing has done with the design I do not know. I have John's side axles in my Z and they are holding up fine so far. I use my car for time trialing so  the usage hours/milage are low but always at high loads and speeds. The engine is stock so the power level is moderate.

6 hours ago, beermanpete said:

The first side axle made to allow using the Subaru STI LSD in a 240Z with the stock drive axles was made by John Coffey at Beta Motorsports. 

John Williams made these axels for John Coffey at Beta Motorsport.