IGNORED

Ah come on! Another one? Enough Already. Oh Fine.

zKars

I swore I was done with big restorations for.a couple of years. I was even going to simplify things around here and get rid of one long term project (remember the 73 I have, I mean, had, for sale? Yeah that one). 

Well along the way of selling the Z, one of the potential buyers says to me, "I'm interested in talking to you about buying your Z, but want to mention I have an older Z that I've been sitting on for a few years. Maybe you'd be interested in looking at it?" So I ask a couple of important questions like "What's older mean?" And "whats the VIN".  Took hime a while to go to it, an read the VIN's.  One he says reads 25401 or something and the other says 03798. Ok, now you got my interest.

Ok, I bet you already know where this story is going. Yes I went to see it, yes it followed me home. The VIN is 3798, 5/70 build date. Rusty old dog, few things missing, but hey, it has a cool sun roof! (See other recent thread about SEMA and Sun Roofs and being cool).

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

• Like 1

The good, the bad and the ugly.

First the good.

Series 1, (Sorry), Canadian import, no air pump, no air injection holes in the exhaust manifold, super smooth balance tube. Single groove harmonic balancer

Been stored inside for 26 years. Not started. Not heated.  Fired right up with only simple fuel system and electrical system clean up. Runs stronger than my damn stroker. Well, not quite... 

Engine number match engine bay tag

Spare is original 4.5 rim with a lighty used original spare.

The Bad

Rust. Dog legs, battery tray, rear arches, front of floor pans, nothing really serious. 

Wheels and tires are from an early 300 zx. Nice + offser... not. Winter tires! 

Seats from some 80's sporty thing. 

The dash is from a 71, VIN 25xxx. Wheel has spokes with holes. Thus no idea what the chassis mileage is, but at least 100K. The clutch pin is about 1/2 the diameter it used to be.

The hood, inspection doors, cowl, head light sugar scoops, are all not original. Likely from the 71.

So how was the conversation with your Mrs?  I just bought another 89 Turbo for $400. My wife was pissed. I got the "were not ruining a junkyard" comment.  It matches mine exactly in the garage. Plus I got another LSD! 

So far, here's what's been done.

Fuel system clean up, which was drain the 2 or 3 litres of that lovely smelly 26 year old fuel left in the tank, blow out the fuel lines (nothing there), change the fuel pump, clean up the SU's a bit, new fuel filter. Add battery, clean up primary electrical supply and grounds. Put 15 litres of fresh hi-test in tank. Change wires and plugs. Sand down arced points, replace coil. Change oil and anti freeze (which was still clean and good to -20F). Turn key. Fight to get pump primed (cheap can style pump, crap) Start car. (Chokes work just fine). Warm up. Good oil pressure, temp stable.

Replace clutch hydraulics. Clutch works fine on first try. 

Rear wheels are stuck on rusty drums. Drive it back and forth in garage until the wheels turn. (Have cute drag marks on floor now!)  Get drums off (heat and BIG hammer) and, oh god, thats disgusting,...  just take it all apart and replace with new hydraulics, lines, shoes etc. Yeah! Rear brakes! Oh for heavens sake the e-brake works just fine!

Hummm. Clutch works, engine works, have some brakes,  drive??  Hell yes! Open garage door.  What the hell is the white stuff in the lane???? Snow!!!?!?!?!?   YES!!!!!!  Go for drive. Not always in a straight line, foot on floor quite a bit,. Just around the lane, really.   It's already rusty, driving in the snow (and sluch and salt tomorrow) how is this a bad thing! 

My wife was out cheering me on, if you need feedback on what did she say.....

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tomorrow will be more electrical clean up and get those damn ugly (here is the "ugly" part) seats out of there and some proper Z seats in.  There is this mess of duct taped electrical mess under the dash Im just itching to get into.

Maybe I'll get the front brakes working and get them bled tomorrow. Anybody got an hour? I'll take you for a snow slide!

Anybody want good condition 80's sport seats? The driver side is even power! Free, no shipping. Pick up only.

Oh yeah, and trade those flat spotted ancient winter knobby's with the wrong offset for some proper All Season radials. and maybe more than two nuts per rim...

Edited by zKars

Parts list of things I need but don't have.  Series 1 specific

Stock front valance sections, all three. 

A VIN plate for the dash with correct #. Correct Dash! (Yikes...). I think I have the right speedo somewhere, could just fill in the cig lighter hole. Cheating...

Series 1 hood, the one with no holes either side of the latch on the underside. I could fill the holes but that's cheating.

Ash tray cover. Of course.....

Drivers side tool bin lid. 

Whatever else is missing I think I have. Mostly.

Oh, and a boat load of $$.  Someone buy my 73, problem solved. Oh rIght, been there, NOT done that.....

And tomorrow I'll wake up and realize just what I've done and offer it all up for someone else to carry on with....

Edited by zKars

Went out to the shop this morning. Found a fair good puddle of anti freeze on the ground. Seems one of the frayed crusty 47+ year old heater hoses didn't have the decency to stay together after one little spirited run last night. Coward.

Now to it's benefit, I have to mention that every hose and clamp in the car was original, with the exception of one heater core to "T" hose that had a chunk of modern hose spliced into it.

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

Edited by zKars