IGNORED

Can some please take pictures of their stock horn locations 75/76 280Z

MattSaint

Howdy Folks,

The original owner of my 280Z decided to replace the drivers side horn with a Sears brand air horn.  While I don't mind how loud it is I would like to remount an original horn in that location.  I am thinking that the mounting of the drivers side horn is the same as the one one the passengers side?  (i.e. it uses a bracket with a bend).  I know they changed the style of mounting brackets for the 77 / 78 model years such that they are straight without a bend.  If someone could please post a picture here, that would be great.  Also, I am trying to determine which was the High and which was the Low?

Thanks!
~Matt

Hi @Zed Head

Per your advice, I reviewed the FSM, specifically pg BE-59.  The picture is only of one side and does not really show how it is mounted.  I also reviewed the diagram on pg BE-61, but it only refers to Right and Left and not High and Low.  Is there a better page I can refer too?

Any chance someone can help me out with a picture?

Thank you!

Edited by MattSaint
Proper named link

11 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

The horns are sounded at the same time. One has a high tone, and the other has a low tone.

Cool thanks. Is that typical for most cars?  Or do most just have one horn device?  Any advantage to this?

And here are pictures @MattSaint not my car, but this is exactly what it looks like... symmetrically mounted on each side, as you can see this is a 280z with 240z bumpers.

z horn.jpg

And it is likely they all used the same actual horns, I think he is thinking the bracket mount changed in 1977, I do not know.  All I know is my 76 looks just like these pics.

z horn 2.jpg

This ebay listing does seem to show 2 different styles of mounts... maybe this is what he means changed....  

z horn 1.jpeg

z horn 2.jpg

Edited by ramsesosirus
added pics

zcardepot says that 76-78 used the same horn.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-1976-78-280Z-Horn-High-Tone-OEM-Genuine-NEW-680/222686611201?hash=item33d9280701:g:OlMAAOSwY45UTt1-&vxp=mtr

Here's a 78 - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124393-78-280z-project-wps30/

Forgot to say, if you take a picture of what you have it might give someone the initiative to do the same for you.

Edited by Zed Head

@ramsesosirus - Thank you for the pictures.  That helps a lot.  You are correct, I was trying to explain that the brackets and mounting locations changed for the 77 and 78 model year.  I am also trying to figure out which side is High note and which is Low as I can't find the painted H or L on mine.  @Zed Head - I should have (and will) take a picture of the drivers side that has the air horn, my bad.  I was trying to deduce what modifications if any the OO made in order to fit the air horn.  I'll go take a picture and post it here.

Edited by MattSaint
added thought and cleaned up

Ok, here goes.  The first picture is the passenger side horn.  The second and third picture is of the air horn.  Upon closer examination, it looks like the OO removed the horn bracket, but reattached the bolts.  So, I think I just need to figure out which horn tone I have and get the opposite.  Wiring appears to be there also, just taped together.IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG