IGNORED

Starter question

tabaka45

I have a bad starter and ordered a replacement from AutoZone.  When it came in it appeared to be a little different than the ones I saw on the internet.  Specifically, it had a cone nose and the bendix moves out on a shaft like most of the starters I've ever seen.  The pictures I saw on the internet do not have the cone but are simply flat.  I guess the bendix simply protrudes out and engages the ring gear when the starter is activated.  I have not removed mine and AutoZone is holding the one I ordered until I find out if it will work.   The starter at AutoZone has a pamphlet that says the starter may look different but is appropriate for the 280zx.  In looking again on the internet I have found others that have the cone shape nose that are indicated for the 1980 280 zx.  Anyone know for sure if a cone nosed starter will work?  

• Like 1

Thanks.  I got the one with the cone, installed it and it seems to be working fine.  Still wish I had been able to get the reduction gear starter.  The original lasted 37 years, so if this one lasts half that long I’ll probably be toes up.