IGNORED

Early / Late Wheel Cylinders?

w3wilkes

I need to replace the rear wheel cylinders in my 71 240Z. The cylinders changed in the 72 - 73 time frame. The early wheel cylinders go for almost $200 where the later goes for less than $50. Has anybody used the later model in the early car? Here's a picture of the later model on the left and the early model on the right. The only difference I can see is the part where the bleeder valve stick through the back plate is taller and the soft brake line connection is 90 degrees vs angled  in the early model.

compare.JPG

I did it on my '72s rears.  I swapped the hardlines from one side to the other then bent them to fit into that 90 degree port. I will find the thread and post it up Saturday a.m

I remember a lot of replies and a few good pictures.

Here it is with some more threads linked from other members experiences.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50122-early-72-wheel-cylinder-problem/

Thanks so much for the reply! The drums are off after a little torch work. When attempting to bleed the left rear I broke off the bleeder stem so I figured I'd be replacing the wheel cylinders. When I saw the price of the 71 vs 73 wheel cylinders and then compared them visually I hoped there was a way to make the swap! The 4X price of the early cylinder is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Got the early wheel cylinders changed over to the later version cylinders just fine. My buddy Dan changed a bend in the brake line and it still runs just fine around the front of the drum back plate. can't imagine paying ~$200 a piece for the early cylinders when the later version can be had for ~$40 a piece and work just fine!

Wheel Cylinder conversion.jpg

• 1 year later...

w3wilkes, Thanks for this thread!  I really didn't want to spend $450+ for left and right wheel cylinders, and this post gave me the courage to go with the later-model cylinders. I replaced the old "hard-lines" with new (20inch) which wasn't too expensive (about $6 each) or difficult to bend. For the record, my hard-lines don't do a tight 90deg turn. They come out of the cylinder and do a tight "U" turn then do a gentler 90 toward the front.

Thanks again!