IGNORED

Failing Valve Guides?

wil84911

way rich. OR wrong heat range. is it burning oil (blue smoke) or gas (black smoke).

1st thing is to get a compression test to gauge the overall health of the compression. is this a FI or carb?

If FI check all the sensors/fuel pressure/connections/grounds. Check for leaking cold start valve. fuel pressure is critical and must be controlled for FI to work.

If carb IDK.

Edited by Dave WM

You should add your car details to a sig, or at least tell people what you're working with in your posts. 

Pretty sure it's a 240Z, based on the stuck heat lever post.  Looks like the plug was firing for a while.  Need all of the details on the engine though, and the plug, to make a better guess.

7 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

way rich. OR wrong heat range. is it burning oil (blue smoke) or gas (black smoke).

1st thing is to get a compression test to gauge the overall health of the compression. is this a FI or carb?

If FI check all the sensors/fuel pressure/connections/grounds. Check for leaking cold start valve. fuel pressure is critical and must be controlled for FI to work.

If carb IDK.

New to me 71 with triple webers. No smoke. Thx

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

You should add your car details to a sig, or at least tell people what you're working with in your posts. 

Pretty sure it's a 240Z, based on the stuck heat lever post.  Looks like the plug was firing for a while.  Need all of the details on the engine though, and the plug, to make a better guess.

Ok will do. I've been technically unsavy lately. Must be old age. 

4 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

how long were those plugs in use? do you drive it aggressively (open it up and rev up to 4-5  k between shifts or do you loaf around at low rpms a lot)?

Sorry don't know just got the car. Yes I intend to give her an Italian tuneup once register and with new plugs. I drive in between agressive and safe/normal. 

Edited by wil84911