IGNORED

Spring isolators on 240z and KYB 361001 Question

Just wondering if anyone has put spring isolators (thin rubber/urethane) on the bottom mounts for the rear springs? I know my other Zs have either used isolators or little rubber coil sleeves (covers about one revolution) at the bottom to reduce noise

I have the rear suspension disassembled currently so thought I'd do this if there is a suggestion.

ALSO, I got KYB 361001's for the rear -- TWO THINGS: 

1) I guess I need to either grind one side of the threads or grind out the flat edge of the upper mount insulator to fit them -- is that everyone else's experience?

2) The retaining 'nut' at the top of the strut housing -- it doesn't fully seat -- (by maybe 2-3 thread turns). Is that normal?

Edited by thumper300zx

#1 - If you're saying that there's no flat to fit the D-shaped slot in the insulator then something is wrong.  The KYB's are a bolt-in.

#2 is normal.  The nut is seated on the top of the shock body inside, clamping it in to the strut tube.

Sorry -- I guess I suck today.

1) I don't know how I didn't see it, but there is a flat side and I'm stupid.

2) I totally shouldn't not have used " retaining 'nut' " as a reference, but I just can't remember what they call it -- it's the big shock retainer thing that screws into the top of the strut housing (see attachment).Image1.jpg

The top of the strut cartridge seems to sit a bit high and so this retainer won't sit fully. Didn't know if that was normal. I think the previous struts were slightly shorter.

Any ideas on the lower strut isolators (might be called a spring silencer) ? They look something like one of these -- anyone use something like this?

s-l225.jpg
ptp-6-1701-bl_w.jpg?rep=False

image.jpeg

Edited by thumper300zx

The big nut is commonly called a "gland" nut because in the original application there is a seal (aka gland) ion the inner edge, keeping the fluid inside the strut tube.  With aftermarket shocks, it actually is a retaining nut.  It fastens the shock body to the strut tube.  As I described originally.  If you don't see threads, you'll have a loose shock body inside the strut tube.

People might use those isolators, but I don't think that they are a factory piece.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/axle/rear-suspension

13 hours ago, thumper300zx said:

Just wondering if anyone has put spring isolators (thin rubber/urethane) on the bottom mounts for the rear springs? I know my other Zs have either used isolators or little rubber coil sleeves (covers about one revolution) at the bottom to reduce noise

The only small drawback that I can see is the little bit of added height that the isolators will add , those brown ones in your pic would work well. Also, although shock manufactures say adding oil between the shock and the strut tube (less than an oz.) isn't necessary it does do a couple of jobs. It helps transfer heat from the shock to the strut tube and keeps the corrosion inside the strut tube to a minimum, the next guy to change out those shocks 20 yrs from now will thank you.  Same goes for the spindle pins, a little anti seize will ensure you good karma in the afterlife.

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The only small drawback that I can see is the little bit of added height that the isolators will add , those brown ones in your pic would work well. Also, although shock manufactures say adding oil between the shock and the strut tube (less than an oz.) isn't necessary it does do a couple of jobs. It helps transfer heat from the shock to the strut tube and keeps the corrosion inside the strut tube to a minimum, the next guy to change out those shocks 20 yrs from now will thank you.  Same goes for the spindle pins, a little anti seize will ensure you good karma in the afterlife.

I think I'll get some if these silencers (the brown Tein). Anti-seize is definitely going on...I have a big jar I use for basically everything. I'm not too concerned about the oil. The others came right out and 20 years from now is off my radar :P