IGNORED

Need Engine mount K-member pad angles.

zKars

So I have myself in a pickle here. I'm building custom engine mounts for a silly RB25 swap I'm doing for a friend, and I have no way to test if the angles of the fancy new pads on my mounts that sit on the K-member pads are right angle-wise or spread wise before I drop get the engine in. I have great patterns taken from the guy we got the engine from off of the McKinney mounts he has, so I know I'm "close"

I find I have NO spare k-members laying around. I know, I'm shocked and dismayed as well. 

Anyone with a nice little digital angle meter and no engine in their car care to go tell me the angle from horizontal for each of the two engine mount faces on the k-member towers? No rubber isolators/mouts in place please, just the face with the single M10 hole that the isolators bolt through.

I have an engine block here with engine mounts attached that tell me the included angle is 90, or darn close, but without knowing the exact engine tilt I can't guess what each K-member pad angle is. I'm guessing that are both exactly 45. Would Nissan make it that easy?

Also if you can measure the distance across the two K-member pad between the two single 10mm holes as another data point for me that would be grate, uh, great! 

I clearly can wait until I get the old L28 out and then measure the guys car myself, but I want these mounts built, welded and coated before he gets here to save time. 

I'l save the patterns for these mounts and share if anyone wants to save a few $$ on buying custom ones for RB25 swaps as my penance for laziness.

Passenger side mount.

IMG_0925.JPG

He made lovely foam board patterns for us to use as a template for making new ones! What a great guy.

IMG_0916.JPG

If you don't have one of these, get one. Fantastic tool for fabricators or drive shaft alignment doers

IMG_0927.JPG

I'm as shocked as you are about how level my bench is. 

Edited by zKars

14 hours ago, zKars said:

If you don't have one of these, get one. Fantastic tool for fabricators or drive shaft alignment doers

I'm as shocked as you are about how level my bench is. 

I picked up one of those a while ago (Harbor Freight variety), and I've gotten some good use out of mine as well. Alignment camber stuff.

But gravity is a cruel master and the zeroing function button can lure you in (at least it did me)... Before you are so confident in how level your bench is, put it on the bench and zero it. Then carefully (without changing the position of where it is on the bench) rotate it 180 degrees and see what it says then. If it says zero in both directions then you're doing pretty good. But with the zeroing function, you can have a surface all out of whack and still get it to read zero in one direction!  BTDT.  :facepalm:

I didn't study it too hard because all of the lines and numbers and words make my head hurt, but it seems like the info might be in the Body chapter.  Might have to make some assumptions about how engineers/draftsmen think.  Looks like they only show one, which might mean they're both the same.  And I don't know if there's enough in there to fully answer the question.

Here's a sample...

image.png

• Like 1