IGNORED

pilot bushing fit

ta240

Mine went down deeper than that. Can you tell if it's bottomed out? Maybe get a wooden dowel or the handle of a screwdriver and try to tap it down farther. I learned a neat way to saturate that bronze with oil. I think it's called sweating the bushing but you put it between your pinching fingers, fill it up with oil and pinch it until you see the oil start "sweating" through to the outside. Tom Monroe's rebuild book showed me that.

I found a drawing in the 1976 FSM.  The early FSM's  don't have it.  It's not very descriptive either, but it seems to show that it should be about 4-5 mm below the surface of the crankshaft flange.  It's poor draftsmanship I think, the lines are misaligned.  <Edit - actually, it seems to just show that the side of the bushing should be fully supported.  The line is to where the rounded edge starts.  Still, doubt that it's that critical.  Just make sure the shaft isn't jammed.>

But, it's probably not that critical, even though they specify a half mm range.  You could look at the wear mark on the nose of the transmission shaft to see where it used to ride.  If you have extra room on the nose of the shaft for the bushing it will work.  You don't want to jam the transmission shaft though.

I had one that wouldn't go in far enough and had to break it out with a chisel.  The next one went in easy, but I got it from a different store.

pilot 76.PNG

Edited by Zed Head

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum but not new to cars. Seeing a reference to using a chisel to get the pilot bushing out there is a easier way and you don't damage the flywheel. Jam a slice or two of bread into the pilot bushing and then hammer it down with metal dowel that just fits inside the bushing (I have cut off the threads of a bolt), continue adding bread and pounding it in the bushing. The compressed bread will drive the bushing out slick as can be and once bushing is out dig the bread out with a small screwdriver or pick. The bread will come out easily and leaves the flywheel undamaged and clean. I know it sounds crazy but try it next time. Pat 

13 minutes ago, pclements said:

I am new to this forum but not new to cars. Seeing a reference to using a chisel to get the pilot bushing out there is a easier way and you don't damage the flywheel. Jam a slice or two of bread into the pilot bushing and then hammer it down with metal dowel that just fits inside the bushing (I have cut off the threads of a bolt), continue adding bread and pounding it in the bushing. The compressed bread will drive the bushing out slick as can be and once bushing is out dig the bread out with a small screwdriver or pick. The bread will come out easily and leaves the flywheel undamaged and clean. I know it sounds crazy but try it next time. Pat 

What kind of bread?  Hole Wheat?

Heavy grease works too. But then you don't have a snack when you're done 

• Haha 1

I read several posts about using bread or grease to pop the old bushing out.  My original one did not want to come out that way or with the tapered screw-in grease zerk shown below.   I ended up getting a removal tool from harbor freight and grinding down the claws to where they would fit inside and pulling it out that way.  It was a super cheap version of the bottom picture
cp55600.jpg

bush_puller_6.jpg

• Like 1

A common 3/8 NPT pipe tap also theads nicely into the soft bushing ID. Then I attach a large pair of vise grips to the square end of the tap and hammer on the vise grip to pop them out.

I also welded a 3/8 NPT pipe tap to a fitting that attaches to my slide hammer to help persuade out the tough ones.