IGNORED

How to shoot flame from tailpipe

ramsesosirus

My uncle (who worked for the gas company for 20 years, then started his own fire pit company) used to have a classic ambulance that he was able to shoot flames from the tailpipe on command, I think with a spark plug.

Is there any "safe" way to do this in a non-catalyst Z?  I have no cat (Fed 76 Z).

Not only does it look amazing, but for the tailgaters, I got something for ya... to melt your bumper... oops, sorry!

I think it involves installing a spark plug and switch to battery in the tailpipe, but is there some kind of valve/flap.cutoff to prevent the hellfire from going back up to the engine?  

It involves wiring a capacitor in the back of the car to a spark plug drilled into your tailpipe. When you want to shoot flames you rev the $^!# out of your engine and push a switch to cut the spark to the engine. The unburnt gases then go down the exhaust and get ignited by the spark plug. With back fires and possible actual fires its hardly worth the entertainment value. Now a nitrous oxide vent blowing out the hood, that's way cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I remember my Dad saying he did that to a '57 Bel Air he had. He said they used a spark plug for the ignitor. Something else he said that I've never understood was "uncapped headers". When they would race he would slide something out that would let the exhaust flow straight out of the header, put it back to drive home???

My expirences were flooring an old Pontiac Catilina, kitty cat we called it, for a few seconds turn the key off for another second then back on. BOOM every time until the exhaust fell apart. That was a farm car my uncle had to drive around and check on his cows. Good and toasty heater and cold AC. Had mudder rear tires and no fender skirts, ugliest car you ever saw but boy was it fun for a couple of kids.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Something else he said that I've never understood was "uncapped headers". When they would race he would slide something out that would let the exhaust flow straight out of the header, put it back to drive home???

Sounds like an exhaust cutout  https://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Exhaust-Cutouts

At least that's what my miscreant friends in high school did with their '55 Chevys and '49 Fords.  Good sound until the cop stops you and then you pull the cable to close the exhaust dump and say, "Oh no officer, that wasn't me.".

Dennis

3 hours ago, psdenno said:

Sounds like an exhaust cutout  https://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Exhaust-Cutouts

At least that's what my miscreant friends in high school did with their '55 Chevys and '49 Fords.  Good sound until the cop stops you and then you pull the cable to close the exhaust dump and say, "Oh no officer, that wasn't me.".

Dennis

Nice, them kind of ticket are of no concern to me.  I'm (nearly) a felon (non -violent).  So as long as I'm not going to prison, it's all good. Plus I got that "Get out of jail free" card.  For a little bit at least (Omaha is corrupt as *EYR*#RY).  

I just want to melt the tailgaters bumper.... sorry, my car is old.  File a claim. 

I just think that would be badass in a Z.  As long as it doesn't go back to the engine and kill me.  But hey, we all gotta go sometime eh?  Better to burn out then fade away!  Has anyone ever done this in a Z?  Pics?  

Thanks!

Edited by ramsesosirus
  • Haha 1