IGNORED

Newbie question about connecting exhaust

882993md

Hi everyone:

My car has the stock engine with the stock manifold and the 2" downpipe. I don't have a premuffler but all the piping (aft of where  premuffler should be) is new 2.25" pipe (this is how it was when I bought the car). 

As you can see in the picture the stock pipe does not line up with the new pipe. My guess is that the stock premuffler had an offset outlet?

I was thinking about:

A. Cut the stock pipe right before it starts the right turn and try fitting a straight pipe.

B. Don't mess with the stock pipe and add a premuffler by removing some of the new pipe.

C. Take it to a muffler shop and pay them to somehow connect the pipes. 

Any  suggestions are appreciated.

Howard

1974 260z

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

Edited by 882993md

On 9/10/2017 at 7:23 PM, 882993md said:

As you can see in the picture the stock pipe does not line up with the new pipe. My guess is that the stock premuffler had an offset outlet?

IMG_2525.JPG

I don't think that the pipe from the manifold is "stock".  It shouldn't be almost directly under the propeller shaft and the factory flange is missing.  It's just somebody else's exhaust work, I think.

Take it to a muffler shop and see if they can run 2.25" from the collector at the exhaust manifold.  Consider installing an anti-resonance muffler (premuffler) also, to combat drone.  Almost everyone with what you're planning hates the drone.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies.

I was searching online to see if anyone offered a downpipe that attached to the stock exhaust manifold.

I called the zstore and inquired about their premium exhaust kit that has a downpipe that connects to the stock manifold. Good news is that they sell it separately for $55.95. 

I received it yesterday and just finished installing it a few minutes ago and as you can see from the pics it's a pretty good lineup.

I will do as Zed Head suggested and install a resonator/premuffler, then connect with a band clamp from 2.5" to 2.25"

Howard

L

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

Edited by 882993md

That's a good looking piece of pipe work and the price doesn't seem terrible.  Nice thick flanges.  Make sure to check the inner diameter of the premuffler so you don't add a restriction.  It's odd but the factory premuffler is smaller diameter than the pipes connecting to it.  Don't know why, don't know if it matters.