IGNORED

crank pulley no timing marks

hatepotholez

I have two of those timing lights, with what I assume is the dial-back? I have the ability to choose the degrees on the back of it and it clamps to cyl 1 spark plug wire. Quick question if I set the light to 17 degrees and rotate the dist. how would I know its actually at 17 degrees if there is no mark at the crank pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

You said that you believed that you saw a mark.  ??  It's just a crude notch.  There is a method for determining TDC, using s piston stop, that you could use if you need to.  All you would need is a file to create a notch on the pulley, and a piston stop, maybe a Sharpie. Ffind TDC, mark it, file a notch, set up a pointer...good to go with a dial-back light.  Lots of words but actually simple in practice.

You'd actually be ahead of most of us, who just assume that our notches are correct.

I actually had my job make a piston stop at work due to my crank damper twisting. Thats how I was able to determine tdc and got the vehicle running. Im not sure how damaged the damper is but hopefully it just twisted and didnt damage the actual crankshaft snout.

Once I mark the TDC on the new-used hub, how would I mark it in 5 degree increments? I guess I can technically use the damaged damper as a template or measure the spacing between each mark and scribe the replacement damper?

You could make a new tab and mark but the dial back light allows you to use the dial, and the TDC mark (zero) in place of the tab marks.  Set the dial to whatever you want your initial timing to be, probably 10, then move the distributor to hit the zero mark you created using the piston stop.  That's how the dial-back lights work, all they need is TDC.

• 3 months later...

ok I just installed the pulley, unfortunately it is hitting the fan. I believe it’s off a 73. I haven’t checked but can I remove the first ring. there are 2 bolts holding it on. I am not sure if it’ll leave a large space where the bolt goes like my original one?
apparently for my original pulley I need the third ring for the bolt to sit flat against the pulley to clamp it all down into the crankshaft snout. My Z does have ac but I won’t be using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile