IGNORED

260Z dream car

v12horse

Hello everyone and thank you for the positive feedback.  I will keep you posted on the progress.  I haven't heard anything new from my mechanic, but I am not one for updates and I don't want to interfere.  He has free reign.  It's hard for me to let go as I am not one to just trust anyone with my pride and joy, but he is a person I truly believe that treats other people's cars as his own.  Upon meeting Rob I quickly understood that he gives everyone special treatment.  

I do hope that my son and daughter get into the hobby of cars somehow or some way as it is so dynamic as we all know.  Even if they enjoyed cars a bit it would be fun.  There is an infinite number of lessons to learn from a car; critical thinking, patience, perseverance, discovery, and escape among other things.  My kids have attended a ton of car shows and my son has gone to the Monterey Historics two years in a row.  I changed his diaper at the world famous corkscrew!!!  As a dad I have no shame.  I am also lathering them in sunscreen and the ear protection is on at all times.  I am not trying to create 'car-kids', but I am living my life and until they start telling me where to go and what to do I am going to continue educating them on cars.  

On a funny-note, we were at the Hillsborough Concours and a row of Ferrari's were in the distance and my 2 year old son turned to me and said, 'let's go check out that Datsun.'  I was a proud papa.  Maybe a Daytona to a toddler looks like a Z.  I will never know.    

Here is my son at the Historics this year with our own Ron Carter's 2000 roadster.  

Sincerely,

Ben 

IMG_5588.JPG

Edited by v12horse
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have been told by Rob at the Z Car Garage that him and his team are working like "gangbusters" on my car.  Check out that Nissan blue engine block!  I am so excited to get the old girl back on the road.  I am planning for an early morning drive through the forests of Woodside once it is done.  It looks like this will be sometime in the fall so all you enthusiasts in the SF Bay Area keep your eyes open and make a mental note for a sunrise drive on a weekend soon.  Z's are not required, but bring an appetite for food and conversation as we will be talking cars, eating breakfast at Alice's in Woodside at the fabled four corners, and the coffee will be flowing.  The roads are divine for some spirited and safe driving.  I am not sure how well I can plan a drive like this, but I figure with the internet we can do anything!  

All the best,

Ben

IMG_6263.JPG

• Like 2

Very well written and relate-able.  I believe we have all had the fire around these cars or cars in general die out from time to time for various reasons.  Glad you have found the passion again and realized to achieve your goals it is best to let someone else do the work.  Too often many of us take on projects that are beyond our skill set, resources, budget, and time.  In the end I believe you will get much more enjoyment out of your Z and the hobby as you will be spending more time driving the car than wrenching on it.  As other small things come up I am sure you will get enjoyment out of resolving them on your own.  Good luck with it and keep us posted!

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, v12horse said:

I ultimately want to do a cross country road trip with my son for the 50th anniversary of the Z.  Thank you all for the knowledge and inspiration and I will keep you posted on my car’s progress. 

Hmmmm that may be a better reason then my 50th birthday, although, I was born in 69 so we kind of share the same birth day. :) 

• Like 1

Great stuff man. And yes true car enthusiasts have gone through the same emotions as yourself to some degree or another, I sure am. But it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. The one thing I will add, most of us learned everything we know about our cars by putting our hands on them. It took me the better part of 12 years to accrue the tools I have. You don't realize you need certain tools until you actually need them then you go out and by what you need. Good luck and we hope you and the kids build many great memories. Good Luck!

IMG_20130623_162530_739.jpg

IMG_20130623_162515_487.jpg