IGNORED

Recording Exhaust Sounds

TomoHawk

I was thinking of where to put a microphone for when I record videos of Lapping.  I could use the internal microphone of the tablet, which picks up the shifts, and clicking of the pawls of the turn indicator,  or to use a remote microphone elsewhere.  Also, how do you just record the exhaust of a parked car?  I think the procedure for using a sound meter requires you to be a certain distance  from the source, so I'm presuming there is a kind of magic distance that gives you a good representation when recording a parked car.  You also don't need to be pointing the recording device (a microphone) at the tailpipe.  I don't care for using a video camera of some sort to record sound; a digital sound recorder with a full-range of response is appropriate, with a quality microphone.  Then you need to eliminate wind noise.

I tried a few tests using a digital audio recorder with a wired microphone, and I tested my Bluetooth headset while walking around the car.    The microphone was taped to the back of the car near the tail lamp, and the other test  was in the driveway with the microphone on a small box, about 15 inches high, pointed 90 degrees to the tailpipe, about 10 feet away.

So my goal would be to determine how to record sound for as parked car, and while driving, without wind-noise.

thxZ