IGNORED

1971 Series-1 240z #8011

Hardway

Up for sale is my 1971 Datsun 240z, built August of 1970, VIN # 8011, and purchased by the original owner on September 30th 1970 from Glendale Datsun in California.  I am the fourth owner and have had it since July 2014.  Highlights include matching numbers engine that has been rebuilt and completely detailed with head work done by Glen’s Machine in Round Rock.  The 5spd transmission is from a 280z and has been rebuilt and painted.    The suspension has been rebuilt with all rubber bushings and all hardware blasted and powder coated satin black.  All of the suspension has been kept as close to stock as possible.

This is a series-1 car and it has all of its series-1 specific components.  I have the original series-1 steering wheel which is in great shape and it is included with the car.  I also have a full set of 14x4.5” steel wheels and re-chromed D wheel covers which are also included.  The original AM auto-seeking radio works but the bulb is out behind the tuning indicator.

The car does have some rust in the passenger side floor pan, a tiny spot on the pass. Side rocker, and both frame rails under the floor were re-welded at some point but it does not look good in my opinion.  There is also some filler on the driver side wheel above the frame rail.  Other issues include, the top slider in the heater control panel is stuck, the Honda blower motor recently stopped working, the driver side door hinges are worn but the door opens and closes fine.  I have an original set of passenger side hinges that can be used for parts.

The car runs strong, drives well, stops great, and stays cool in any weather.  As some of you may know, the car took second place in the 240z daily driver class at ZCON this year.  The passenger side visor is signed by Yoshihiko Matsuo, the original designer of the 240z.  The car has been good to me during my ownership but I want to get something I can modify – triple Webers, better brakes, AC, etc.  Even though those items are bolt-ons, it would be a shame to change such an original car.

Asking $25,000 OBO.  The price is very negotiable and I am only posting the car here on the club’s FB and the Classic Z Car site for now.  I have tons of pictures and can take pictures of anything a potential buyer would like.  However, if you are in the central Texas area, it would be best that you come see it in person.  I have a lift at my house and any potential buyer is welcome to inspect it and test drive it.  There is too much to tell and this description is the tip of the iceberg of everything that has been done.  At the end of the day, I do not want anyone to be surprised or feel like their time was wasted and I only ask the same for those that reach out to me.  Ping me on FB or here on the forums if interested and if you already have my contact info already feel free to reach out to me.  Thank you for looking.

FS01.jpg

FS02.jpg

FS03.jpg

FS04.jpg

FS05.jpg

FS05a.jpg

FS06.jpg

FS07.jpg

FS08.jpg

FS09.jpg

FS10.jpg

FS10a.jpg

FS11.jpg

FS12.jpg

FS13.jpg

FS14.jpg

FS15.jpg

FS16.jpg

FS17.jpg

FS18.jpg

Your car is a 1970 model. The serial number is within the 1970 model year range and your door jamb VIN plate shows a build date of August 1970. The usual convention is that the next model year starts with cars built in September each year. I think you might be underselling it by calling it a '71.

Anyway, if you decide to sell your original steel wheels date stamped 70 separately from the car I would be interested in buying them. I will pay the ship cost in addition. I might also be interested in the 'D' hubcaps. Please let me know whether you might consider selling the wheels (and maybe also hubcaps) separately.

You can email me at:  cain@uwo.ca

Thanks!

Pete

Well it did not sell on Ebay.  I shared the reserve of $23K with the high bidder and advised I would fix the blower motor and stuck slider at that price.  I drove the car today to Cars and Coffee and it ran great.  If the high bidder does not want it at $23K I am keeping it and will still fix the slider and blower motor.  Beyond that I have no other plans as I saving to get my shop air conditioned.