IGNORED

Motor help

vannahrose15

Hey guys I'm looking into options for motor swaps or info on making more power out of my motor. 77 280z n/a

I've heard you can modify the l28 but limitations are the strength of the motor with power

If I went l28et it's stronger and I can get a 5 speed but limitations come in with the computer

I've considered sr20 rb20 and 2jz, I've also looked at ls1 but I'm trying to keep inline 6 if I can.

My ultimate goal is a motor that I can get 250-300 hp and 300-350 torque out of and that I can turbo to get there or without.

Any help is appreciated, what do you guys think is the best power for the money or ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I went the inexpensive route on my '77 rebuild. I don't go to any tracks, just back roads. 

Port matching the manifolds to the head and a good exhaust set up plus I deleted all the smog stuff, basically turned it into  '75. I'm happy with it and no speeding tickets so far. I live in a small town and have the only 280Z in the county so the cops know me and where I live. :D

Cheapest power to money ratio is the small block chevy engine.  The engines are inexpensive and there are kits available with all of the bugs worked out.  You can run carbs, with no turbo and hit your numbers.

The smaller six cylinder engines need turbos and fuel injection so there's big cost and complexity there.

I'd recommend making a list of each engine and collecting the costs and the effort required for each.  Some of them have high risk actions you'll need to take, like buying an RB engine from an overseas importer.  Then there are maintenance costs.

I'm convinced that many engines are popular just because the names sound cool.  RB, JZ, LS, etc.  No offense.  But when you do the math they don't seem so cool.

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Zed Head, you Nazi! LOL

350 chevy will ruin the handling of a Z.  If like going fast and straight then do that. 

Not Z?  What?

I'm not so sure the small block changes the handling much.  It's another one of those things where when you do the numbers they can surprise you.  The L6 is kind of heavy.  The torque of a large V8 probably has a bigger effect.

The question was power to money ratio so...  The SBC is cheap and they make some high horsepower crate engines.

Can't really pick a motor until you know what you want the car to do.  If it's a show car then a nice LS or RB might work.  Drifters like a big torquey engine to break the tires loose so aV* works there.  Race cars might like a 6 cylinder that you can wind up.

Don't forget the other parts like the transmission (stick or auto) , and the differential and suspension.  More cost.  You can just pick an engine alone and make it though.  

• Like 1

Here's my plan with my car, it is currently a 4 speed and I'd kill to have a 5 speed or 6 but the car just doesn't have enough guts. I take it to shows, I take it to tracks, and drift but if I wanted to take it to bandimere and do quarter miles I'd like it to not run slow times. I want an all around good powered car that I can thoroughly enjoy on the street and on the slick.

I'm going to look into that, it looks like a good idea and then I don't need to change much besides getting a newer transmission maybe a T5
I think it's down to that it an rb25 because it's relatively the same power to start off with and around the same cost with mounts and a wiring harness