IGNORED

Rear deck lid pannel material?

sdyck

My '72 had never had a rear deck lid pannel, I'm going to make one up and cover it with white vinyl to match my interior.

I was planning on using some 1/4" press board, but was wondering how thick the original was and what kind of material was used on the OEM?

Thanks,

Steve

27 minutes ago, sdyck said:

I was going to make a template from cardboard, but measurements would be a real help.

Thanks!

I'll measure the hole spacing and the overall piece tonight and post you up a detailed picture with my laptop. I'm using my phone now, and it doesn't have any kind of photo shop.

I'll get it to you asap. 8^)

Steve I have a few of these laying around if you want to use one for a pattern. It's curved so not easy to get perfect the first time.

As to thickness, the original hardboard stuff is ~1/8th. I like the idea of using thicker or at least stiffer material so it stays flat and stays sealed forever. Nice bead of dum-dum around the outside will keep it air tight.

Edited by zKars

I'll try my best here, if you need something let me know.

I don't have a millimeter tape measure but these are dead on 1/8's, except the distance from the outer edge and the holes all the way around.  They are falling in between 3/8" and 1/2" on my tape measure.

Overall length, 34-5/8"

Width, 5-3/4"

1st hole, 5/8" from edge

2nd, 9-3/8"

3rd, 17-1/4"

4th, 25-1/8"

5th, 34-1/8"

I started my measuring from the left side and the holes are between 3/8"&1/2" from the outer edge.  I bought what I believe is the closest to original from Lowes hardware.  Four #8 speed nuts and four #8x5/8" screws.  Those are for the 2nd and 4th holes top and bottom, from the left.

Six "variable depth push fasteners GM" for the 1st, 3rd and 5th holes top and bottom.

I hope you can make sense of this but if zKars is willing to give you one for a template that would be better.

DSC01731.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

DSC01734.JPG

Edited by siteunseen