IGNORED

New Tool Toy

newtonhubcap

My new toy tool arrived yesterday and with the weather being crud I just thought I would try it. So, what I got was an Astro DS2000 door skin removal tool. Took 30 minutes max to strip the door skin off the 240z door with the flange fold still attached. Can't wait for the DS1000 door skin crimper to show to reinstall the skin once done.

Plan is to bead blast the inside of door frame and back side of the door skin. Seal-paint and reinstall. Hopefully good for another 40 years.

uploadfromtaptalk1498172594724uploadfromtaptalk1498172701625

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Looks pretty slick. Does bead blasting generate much heat? I ask because sand does and it will reshape the door skin. Good tool though. Local big box hardware store or special order?

Order the tool from Astro (company who makes it). Yes, the tool fold the lip of the door skin up and back. Panel just slips off. As for blasting, if you sit in one spot you canwarp the panel. I move from one side to the other. Eventually I get the whole thing done. I

Like today, took the cross bar out of the door and blasted both the door frame and door skin. Ready to rust seal with KBS rust blast.
20170624_185648_001.jpeg1498349855565.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time this evening after work, doing dishes, and mowing the lawn to work on the passenger door. I am trying out the KBS products (rust seal/preventative). Earlier I had removed the door skin. Tonight I applied their Rust Blast (etching and a zinc coating). This evening I sprayed their Rust seal urethane paint. Debating whether I will either use Lizzard skin or mats yet. Plan to do that before reassembling the door.20170728_193732.jpeg20170728_193740.jpeg

Hope to get the door reassembled this weekend, maybe.

• Like 3

Didn't work on the door today but did work on stripping paint off the body today. Decided to try an old bodyman trick stripping paint.

Was taught (ok, was told) to put the chemical stripper on the surface and wrap it plastic wrap to trap the chem vapor on the paint and to keep it from drying out on you. You use a lot less chemical too.20170805_114140.jpeg20170805_114209.jpeg20170805_172039.jpeg20170805_172059.jpeg

The guy who just did the paint on my car told me if I was going to chemical strip it that I better get every last bit of paint, primer and filler off the metal then clean and sand or that stripper would find it's way into the new paint job and screw it up. Your car looks like it is in pretty good shape, even has original wheel well lips.