IGNORED

Wanted: 240z (preferably modified) - Cash Waiting

Jay.

On 2017-6-22 at 5:40 PM, siteunseen said:

Yes it does.  It has a SALVAGE title too.  $5,000 max IMO.

Yeh it's slightly wonky due to the front end crash of whatever. The salvage title won't cross over to the UK luckily. He won't go below 7,5 so I guess I'll keep searching :)

On 2017-6-22 at 8:28 PM, Patcon said:

What he said ^^^^

On 2017-6-22 at 6:09 PM, rturbo 930 said:

Keep in mind that a nearly rust free car is much more rare in a place like NY, and will therefore command a premium compared to a place like CA where they're easier to find. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother looking in NY. AZ, CA, NV, would be my first choices, followed by NM, ID, UT, CO. Dry states.

I'm happy to buy in any state, as realistically it only makes a few hundred dollars difference. Just got to find one! 

Guys then you for your contributions. They're helpful and motivating. 

• Like 1

BAT seems to be the go-to 240Z site these days.  Have you been watching there?  There's a member here who comments over there and might have made deals.  Sccobyroo or scoobydoo or similar (edit - SCRAPPYDO is the guy).  Can't remember who he is here.  But he probably knows how deals get done over there.  Seems reputable.

http://bringatrailer.com/search/240z/

Edited by Zed Head

17 hours ago, Zed Head said:

BAT seems to be the go-to 240Z site these days.  Have you been watching there?  There's a member here who comments over there and might have made deals.  Sccobyroo or scoobydoo or similar (edit - SCRAPPYDO is the guy).  Can't remember who he is here.  But he probably knows how deals get done over there.  Seems reputable.

http://bringatrailer.com/search/240z/

I keep an eye on BAT but I've noticed the prices typically go rely high for some reason! 

35 minutes ago, Jay. said:

I keep an eye on BAT but I've noticed the prices typically go rely high for some reason! 

Yup, complete mystery.  Couldn't be that it reflects real values could it? Naw...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

BAT does it the right way in my opinion, they point out the good the bad and the ugly.  Unlike ebay or craigslist where the better you are at misrepresenting the car the more you'll get for it.  

That's true, Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to do that sort of digging  myself! Having watched a few auctions, it appears a lot of them go to the same people? 

I appreciate the cars probably still go for what they're worth, but there are still plenty to find for a much better price. 

I've been in contact with a guy selling his 73 240z. I was wondering if people could give me some advice on it? 

It has the 2.8 engine, but not properly ran for 7 years, he drives it once every 6 months for about 15 miles. I imagine I'll need to get the engine checked for compression.. Anything else? 

Rust wise, he says it's not horrendous as he keeps it garaged but the floor boards need replacing.. Does anyone know how much roughly that  would cost? I've read $1500-2000? I'm fairly sure I could do this myself as it's straightforward welding. 

Small rust on the drivers dog leg, he says that's purely cosmetic. The rear valance has rust, but no holes, I've attached a picture.. Any idea roughly how much that would be to replace? I don't think I'd be able to do this myself. 

I've attached a few pictures of the underside too? How do they look? 

I'll be sent some more pictures on Monday, what should I request? 

received_10155524286028826.jpeg

received_10155524671963826.jpeg

received_10155520733058826.jpeg

received_10155520732878826.jpeg

received_10155520731908826.jpeg

Edited by Jay.
Pictures

That's not that bad. I've owned much worse '72 240 and sold it for $6,000. If that means anything. :)

The best shot for me is under the battery. That can be a tricky spot with the acid eating up the fuel lines. I ran rubber from the slave cylinders location to the fuel filter.

Tabco has replacement panels for what you've shown in your pics.

Edited by siteunseen

The floor doesn't look that bad. Doesn't look like it goes through, but if it does, you could just patch it, vs total replacement. I'm stretching my memory here, but I think I recall John Coffey saying it was $1500 a side to replace floors. That said, that picture only shows one spot of one floor, and may be misleading to overall condition.

I may be wrong, but my gut is telling me that the driver's side frame rail reinforcement there has rust behind it. Could easily be wrong, but that spot rusts out pretty often, and seems to start from behind. Just kinda looks like it's been pushed out a bit in the middle there from the wheel well.

Hatch sill rust looks pretty tame. Not sure you'd need a full replacement. FYI, Tabco parts are kind of a mixed bag for fitment. Some of their panels are just useless.

If there's one thing I've learned though, it's that rust is usually worse than you expect.