IGNORED

New Z Owner from MN

Warty

HI All,

In 1987 or so, I test drove a 1978 280Z, I think it was $1500-2000, in that range. I don't remember why I passed on it, other than it was the first car I had looked at in that search, and I wanted to check out some others. I ended up buying a 1979 RX-7. This was pre-internet, you have to remember. While that was a cool car (flip up headlights!) it didn't have that awesome "sitting in a cockpit" feel that the Z had. Well, that and the engine blew almost immediately, but hey... 

Fast forward 30 years, I finally reversed the decision, and got a 240Z. I have been tracking them for a few years. I didn't want a project car, I know I'll never find time to get it out of the project stage. I didn't want a concours car, because then I'd be terrified to drive it. Finally found a good candidate, in my price range, and shipped it up here from AZ. 

HLS30-01427, January 1970. 

The car came with a lot of service records. The thing that stuck out to me in reading them is just how frustrated the first and second owners must have been. The amount of work done on the car is stupendous. Makes me appreciate every 1990+ car I ever owned, even more (in terms of build quality, I mean). None of the previous owners did anything crazy, it is largely original in nature, I would say, but wow a lot of repairs and replacements were made. For example, completely re-upholstered in 1979 (only 8 years in??). It also had a refresh done by a PO (in the 80s I think). Has an airdam, metal "grill" trim (and shoulder-height trim), and wrong blue. And a non-matching L24. 

Immediate Plans:

• Find a mechanic in MN to help me with it.
  • Install 3 point seatbelts (lots of good threads here on that). I don't have to worry about re-sale value going down because I make a 3rd anchor point for the belt, do I? My gut feeling is that this car is unoriginal enough that something like that won't matter a bit. Am I right about that though?
  • Find the gas leak(s). Car has a permanent smell of gas, even if it hasn't run in days. First purchase made: fire extinguisher. 
  • Rig up MSA rear speaker bar. AM radio long-gone of course, but tape deck powers on. At some point, some other speakers were installed, but no trace of them now except the speaker wires going no where. 
  • Work on dampening squeaks in the cockpit. Couple good threads about that here. Not sure how crazy I want to go on that, but it seems like some work with the panels will probably cut it down a lot. 

Longer-term Plans:

• Not at all sure. Not restore it to perfection, that much I know. 
  • Maybe swap out the engine for an L28, maybe ZX 5 speed. Current engine feels tired. Since it's not the original anyway, that might be considered an upgrade?
  • Maybe restore the interior. The 1979 or so re-upholstering has carpet everywhere (which is fine, very modern, but kind of feels not like a Z without the cheesy vinyl diamonds). 
  • Maybe completely restomod the interior, with custom leather, new seats, new color. Restore dash. 
  • Maybe new wheels. The 6 spoke (280ZX?) wheels are kind of growing on me though. 

Anyway, happy to be here. Wish I was going to the Z con in austin!

IMG_2408.jpg

Datsun-blue.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, sharp car! You'll find a lot of info and helpful owners on this site. We have guys that bought them new and still daily drive.

Your complete interior could've possibly been a color change from white to black? Some of those blue 240s came with white and after a short time they age to a bone white color. I had one with white and did not like it, not my style.

I would suggest upgrade the electrical system if it hasn't been done already. Stronger alternator off the ZX and electronic ignition distributor also from the ZX. Headlight relay upgrade and other stuff you'll read about.

Have fun and keep us updated. :)

Welcome to the forum.  That's a great looking car - especially for a low VIN.  Very nice original features on the interior with the wheel, console, ashtray cover, throttle, ...etc.  Everyone here is always ready to be a sounding board for questions and ideas - you get what you pay for. ;)  Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.  No shortage of technical expertise here either.  Looking forward to your participation.  Who knows - the next ZCON may be much closer to you.

• 2 weeks later...

@sweatybetty: thanks! I've been lurking on your project thread for like forever, btw. Very inspirational! Makes me want to win the lottery, quit work, and buy a junker Z to restore to beauty. Hmm. I should get on that plan... 

@siteunseen: I think I remember seeing that in 1970, they didn't have white interiors yet. I've seen a couple Zs like that. I don't like white interiors myself either (but love tan/saddle often), but I think it would be fun to have a white interior Z, just because it's such an uncommon combination. I imagine keeping it scuff-free would be a nightmare though. I wish they had a light tan/beige interior panels available, I'd be tempted to do a custom tan leather interior at that point. 

@jfa.series1: Thanks. Love your car, btw. And thank you for using belly buttons, instead of what I usually see there ;) . Looks like next Z is in Atlanta. Long drive, but at least it's not in the summer. If I get this Z sorted by then, I might think about that. 

Welcome, Warty!  And congratulations on your beautiful Series I 240Z.  Arizona is a good place to find rust-free 240Zs. I have purchased two 240Zs from there - a '71 from the Phoenix area back in 2007 (sold about 3 1/2 years ago) and another '71 about a year and a half ago in Tucson (1 of 2 240Z projects I have now).  Good luck with your immediate and long term plans for the car and keep us posted on the progress.