IGNORED

Early Fairlady Z

70 Fairlady Z

Hello fellow classic Z enthusiasts across the globe,

Many of you probably have heard about my story with the 80 Nissan Fairlady Z I had for 30 years that burned up while at Jim's Body Shop in Pasadena, Maryland. Well, I found a new Nissan Fairlady Z to make memories with! I bought the yellow Nissan Fairlady Z that sooooo many had questions about. The Fairlady Z is titled as a 1969 in Pennsylvania, which will remain the same in Maryland as I register the car as the third owner. I will be taking the Fairlady Z down to Virginia to see the original owner who purchased the car new in Misawa, Japan. The original owner has some unique items to give me for the Fairlady Z. Some wondered about the fender flares, they were installed by Aomori Prefecture Nissan in 1970. This Fairlady Z has a very unique story, which I will share more in time. I am looking forward to the old Nissan slogan Enjoy the Ride!

I know very very rare, but here it goes...Does anyone have a Nissan 2000 valve cover? Series I non vented pillar emblems? I have the stock mirrors to put on and then I am ready for East Coast Z Nationals in Carlisle, PA 19-21 May.

Cheers, Kirk Towner

"Love cars, love people, love life." - Yukata Katayama, "Father of the Z Car" (1909 - 2015) AKA Mr. K

80 Fairladay Z.jpg

574ee4c6043c6_IMG_35711_thumb_JPG_2783eac2924221a1c37c270d15f9307e.jpg

Edited by rhddatsundude
Wrong Title
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, rhddatsundude said:

The Fairlady Z is titled as a 1969 in Pennsylvania, which will remain the same in Maryland as I register the car as the third owner. I will be taking the Fairlady Z down to Virginia to see the original owner who purchased the car new in Misawa, Japan. The original owner has some unique items to give me for the Fairlady Z. Some wondered about the fender flares, they were installed by Aomori Prefecture Nissan in 1970. This Fairlady Z has a very unique story, which I will share more in time.

Congratulations on your new purchase.

What was the chassis number of this car again? I don't recall it being a 1969 car from previous discussions elsewhere...

I'm also interested in those rear arches. Not to pour scorn on the story, but what were Nissan Aomori doing installing custom (metal?) flared arches on a customer car (unusual...) and surely they could have fitted the 432-R Sports Option rear overfenders instead? I'm interested to hear more.

For the record (you may not agree...) it  makes my teeth itch to see an early Japanese market car being referred to as a "Series 1". I can understand why such terms have become vernacular in efforts to distinguish between major production date changes on Export market models, but they don't apply to the Japanese market models in the same way and in any case Nissan themselves certainly never used the 'Series 1/2/3' etc terms themselves.

Sorry I can't help you with the valve cover, but watch this space for early Japanese market 'Z' quarter emblem repros in the pipeline. I might have some other RHD-specific parts you need, so don't hesitate to ask.    

Thanks for your reply! chassis number S30-03814, yeah I know July 1970. There is mystery here as I have spoken with the original owner Ron Davis who purchased the car new late 1969 and had the oil changed prior to Thanksgiving. Military service members back then bank loans were not granted, so Ron had a friend purchase the car from the dealer. The paperwork that was in the thread with Showa 45 dates is the transfer from the friend to Ron who owned the car for 30 years. Mr. K himself wrote the '69 year style' on the paperwork at ZCON York, PA in 1997. The second owner owned the car for 17 years. Regarding the fender flares, dealers are different in Japan having lived there for couple years when I was not deployed on and below the Pacific Ocean. Series 1/II/III - I am learning from the masters having been an S130 Fairlady Z car owner for 30 years. Regardless, this is an early production Fairlady Z. Many missed out on this opportunity with all the stone throwing when it was offered for sale last year. Thanks for the offer for assistance with Fairlady Z parts, I will reach out.

1 hour ago, RHDNISSANDATSUNDUDE said:

Thanks for your reply! chassis number S30-03814, yeah I know July 1970. There is mystery here as I have spoken with the original owner Ron Davis who purchased the car new late 1969 and had the oil changed prior to Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I don't get it. How could he have "...purchased the car new late 1969..." when it was built after July/August 1970?

• Like 3