IGNORED

Test report of "HLS30Q (Z Europe model) countermeasures High speed stability "

kats

11 hours ago, Jason240z said:

That does seem to comprise all the best elements of the various markets.  Those skinny wheels(by modern standards) look great.  Looks light on its feet.  Just needs to be Orange or Safari Gold.

Were the various european specs considered factory 'specs' or importer models?

As far as I'm aware (and I'm hoping if I'm wrong I'll be corrected) the 'Entreposto' HLS30s were built that way at the factory in Japan to Portugal-specific models. The factory may well have supplied certain parts in the car (headlamp covers?) to protect them during shipping, perhaps?

All other 'European' models (HS30U, HLS30Q etc) were certainly built that way at the factory, so not the same situation as dealer add-ons and local market showroom 'options'.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 4:26 PM, kats said:

Now I see K11 is Dai Ichi Soukatsu Ka (general affairs section No.1) in Dai Ichi Sharyo Sekkei Ka (Chassis layout/ mechanical design department No.1 )

I have Nissan footage books( Alan you have them too) ,this 1964-1973 has a lot of interesting information.

Hi Kats,

Great! You are a codebreaker!

Yes, I have the same set of Nissan ten-year report books as you. However, they are so big, heavy and complicated that it is very hard work to go through them. I found some treasures but I am sure there is so much more in there to be discovered...

It's great to have all the K-section sub department codes in one place. I am going to cross-reference them all now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HS30-H said:

As far as I'm aware (and I'm hoping if I'm wrong I'll be corrected) the 'Entreposto' HLS30s were built that way at the factory in Japan to Portugal-specific models. The factory may well have supplied certain parts in the car (headlamp covers?) to protect them during shipping, perhaps?

All other 'European' models (HS30U, HLS30Q etc) were certainly built that way at the factory, so not the same situation as dealer add-ons and local market showroom 'options'.

Alan's explanation is perfect, that is what I wanted to say.

About section code, we see various K codes on the left column of the HLS30Q report, with cross refference , they areK10 and K20 chassis desigen, layout/ K30 Engine,power train /K60 prototype making / 360 auxiliary unit engineering (Alan can give the best interprit about this)  e.t.c.

Let's find out section codes which give us more interesting imagination. 

Kats

Edited by kats

Page1

Title :HLS30Q (Z Europe model) countermeasures High speed stability test

Objective: countermeasure S30 crosswind stability and set spec of Europe export model

Date : from February 1970 to 27th March 1971

1 Outline

Soon after S30 went on sale, poor cross wind stability was heard.

To export S30 to Europe market , we knew it was a very important key to develop and raise its stability at high speed and in cross wind situation to the level of satisfied.

K42( car / chassis test ) had started basic study and development about crosswind stability using domestic S30 well before this program began .

From May 1970, that activity succeeded to this program, and continued testing, developing Europe model.

Finally, the difference from North American model (HLS30U) is,

a) style element 

Front spoiler and rear spoiler added

b ) suspension element

strengthening sping rate and stabilizer front and rear

front and rear shock absorber's damping force up

applied 5J -14 rim and 175-HR14,

applied C30 rack mounting insulator (Replaced from SUGURI type)

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 4

Thanks Jason240z ! My English contains mistakes always, so anyone can correct me for our documentation.

Here are some pictures, the first one is USA 240Z, the second one is U.K. 240Z, I think U.K. 240Z looked lower in front,so this car must be the Final Europe version.

The 3rd and 4th are LHD Europe 240Z, this might be also a Final Europe version as is has spoilers both front and rear. And this car is earlier than the green U.K. car judged by hubcaps.

According to the report, the test completed in March 1971. This red car could be a very early Final Europe version.

The 5th and 6th are Australian 240Z, cleanest exterior I love it so much.

Kats

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

I think this picture posted by Alan, thanks in advance.

This car has a rear spoiler only, and before March 1971, this might be Portugal version.

It is a little bit complicated,Portugal version was originally called "Current Europe Version" .

The report explanes in page 3,  "...June 1970  Current Europe Version was established .." .

This Current Europe Version has same suspension as Z432 and has only a rear spoiler. This version was sent to DATSUN

Netherland in August 1970, then they reported back in November 1970 , the team must be so shocked by the report,

you can see it at the bottom "The side wind stability is very Bad " This is caused by the following point..."

Mr.Takei said in a magazine " I remember it was in 1970, someone sent two 240Zs to Europe. I had thought we should not do it,

it was not ready yet"

" We had got the report, criticized severely. They said the car was not a sports car.Then we asked what they wanted, they told us

like this, " In cold weather, with cross wind 20kts, a car can do max 200km/h and cruise 180km/h, that is minimum requirement" .

" As an engineer, I wanted to try it, I was full of energy. We were told that we had to make it by the spring of 1971..."

So, before June 1970, all the export 240Z has same spec. After that, Current Europe Version established.

Then March 1971, Final Europe Version established. Current Europe Version was not pretty for DATSUN Netherland ,however

Nissan decided Current Europe Version must remain in a line up as a Portugal Version.

Kats 

iphone 1220.JPG

iphone 1222.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, kats said:

I think this picture posted by Alan, thanks in advance.

This car has a rear spoiler only, and before March 1971, this might be Portugal version.

iphone 1222.JPG

Kats,

I have an original set of prints from that sequence, and they came from Datsun Netherlands. Clearly a canal/kanaal in the background too.

Dutch and Portuguese licence plates look very similar.

• Like 1