IGNORED

240z Series-1 Hatch Duct Clips - $50/set

Hardway

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, Hardway said:

"That's all folks!"  The last set of clips just sold.  I appreciate everyone that purchased a set.  This thread can be closed.

Missed this by a few months.

Edited by kunzma

Thanks.  I probably never would have gone down this path if you hadn't created this thread in the first place!  I was thinking that the vent grills in my car would have the clips intact, but I'd never taken a close look until I read your write-up and became intrigued.  When I finally got around to it,  I discovered that the clips were missing altogether (the PO had done a lash-up job, which included two-sided tape to hold the chrome grills in place).  And by the time all of this became known to me, you'd sold all of your clip sets and I had to look for other options. 

The main uncertainty was whether the clips really needed to be made from tempered steel to work properly.  Based on my what I've learned, the answer seems to be, 'not really'.  My torch-and-quench tempering scheme seems to have been adequate, helped by the fact that the forming process creates a bit of localized work-hardening around the bent areas.  And then, the legs of the clips don't have to spread that much when the clip is being pushed into place.

In answer to your question, it probably would take me 15 minutes to make a new clip.

Side business?  I'm guessing there's not more than another 50 customers left out there in Z-Land, so not enough in it to be worthwhile.  Maybe someone else will be interested in taking it on, though.

• Like 1

The company that I had make them still has the tooling.  If the demand was high enough again I could inquiry about having another run made.  Hopefully it would be a little cheaper the second time around as I do not have to pay for the tooling to be made.

• 1 month later...

I have had a few people reach out to me about the clips on eBay.  I am going to reach out to the fab company after the holiday weekend to get a quote and lead time on having another run of 100 clips made which would be 25 sets.  If anyone is interested just let me know.

• Like 1