Hardway

240z Series-1 Hatch Duct Clips - $50/set

"That's all folks!"  The last set of clips just sold.  I appreciate everyone that purchased a set.  This thread can be closed.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, Hardway said:

"That's all folks!"  The last set of clips just sold.  I appreciate everyone that purchased a set.  This thread can be closed.

Missed this by a few months.

Edited by kunzma

That is excellent work Namerow!  Now that you have the buck made, how long does it take you to make one clip? Looks like you might have a side gig there.  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks.  I probably never would have gone down this path if you hadn't created this thread in the first place!  I was thinking that the vent grills in my car would have the clips intact, but I'd never taken a close look until I read your write-up and became intrigued.  When I finally got around to it,  I discovered that the clips were missing altogether (the PO had done a lash-up job, which included two-sided tape to hold the chrome grills in place).  And by the time all of this became known to me, you'd sold all of your clip sets and I had to look for other options. 

The main uncertainty was whether the clips really needed to be made from tempered steel to work properly.  Based on my what I've learned, the answer seems to be, 'not really'.  My torch-and-quench tempering scheme seems to have been adequate, helped by the fact that the forming process creates a bit of localized work-hardening around the bent areas.  And then, the legs of the clips don't have to spread that much when the clip is being pushed into place.

In answer to your question, it probably would take me 15 minutes to make a new clip.

Side business?  I'm guessing there's not more than another 50 customers left out there in Z-Land, so not enough in it to be worthwhile.  Maybe someone else will be interested in taking it on, though.

• Like 1

The company that I had make them still has the tooling.  If the demand was high enough again I could inquiry about having another run made.  Hopefully it would be a little cheaper the second time around as I do not have to pay for the tooling to be made.

I have had a few people reach out to me about the clips on eBay.  I am going to reach out to the fab company after the holiday weekend to get a quote and lead time on having another run of 100 clips made which would be 25 sets.  If anyone is interested just let me know.

• Like 1

Good news everyone.  I spoke to the fab company and have placed an order for 100 which equals 25 sets.  Materials cost has gone up some so they will be $55/set with free shipping in the continental US.  There is a 4 week lead time at the moment.  Once they are ready I will let everyone know.

Interested. 

Also, would the fab company let you keep the tooling incase more are desired?  I'm sure that they do not keep tooling for very long and it would be a waste for these to be destroyed.  ;)

1 hour ago, texasz said:

Interested. 

Also, would the fab company let you keep the tooling incase more are desired?  I'm sure that they do not keep tooling for very long and it would be a waste for these to be destroyed.  ;)

The tooling is designed to work with their machine and is not something I have in my personal possession.  However, it belongs to me and no one can simply call up and ask for clips to be made using it.  The company specializes in both large and small quantity sheet metal fabrication and will not destroy it without consulting me first.  They recently moved to a newer facility and the tooling went with them.  Domestic small quantity manufacturing is not cheap but its the only way to ensure high quality and the added benefit of performing the QC in person with relative convenience.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hardway, I may not have been clear in my last post...I'm interested in the parts also and live locally so no shipping. 

1 hour ago, Keepinit said:

Hardway, put me in for 2 sets.

Gotcha!

34 minutes ago, texasz said:

Hardway, I may not have been clear in my last post...I'm interested in the parts also and live locally so no shipping. 

No problem.  It is a $5 savings so $50 for the set.

Once they are ready I will make sure all forum members get the sets they want first before putting the remainder on eBay.

Not to be a distraction or to clutter the thread but does anyone know if these are used the same way on the 510 wagon hatch?