IGNORED

At The Salvage Yard

jfa.series1

Spent several hours picking the bones of this sad '73 today - 10/72, VIN 129684.  Its been in the yard for several years but still had some bits worth refurbishing and eventually offering to our community.  Recounting my recent line "...there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere", I may even have come across a couple of unicorns.  Time will tell.  A couple of 280's and a bunch of ZX's at this yard - more candy than I could eat today.  More pickings yet to come.

A06.jpg

A07.jpg

A26.jpg

You need to go back. You forgot to get the the center valance panel. Seriously, it is getting hard to find good examples and that one, although not in clear view in the photo, looks in reasonably good nik.

The horns look good.

Grab the brake proportioning vavle and brake switch unit. They and both NLA and those maybe salvagable.

Edited by EuroDat
I see you already have the engine bay light ;)
  • Like 1

Bart is right.

There is a lot of stuff that will be hard to find in the future. Things that don't seem important now could very we be worth their weight in gold, so to speak, in the future. Things like the steering rod uni's, rear brake drums, steering rack, even the bolts holding the fender along the bonnet edge are special for that area (thin heads) and often lost in careless restorations, like my PO did.

It would be a bare carcass if I could get my grubby little hands on it, but then again Im a self confessed hoerder :D

Over here that car would be considered a restorable project. It's a totally different market over here. It would never end up in a wrecking yard in such a "complete" state.

• Like 1

It always helps to get additional eyes on a yard find - thanks for all the comments.  I'm not finished with this one and appreciate the tips.  The center valance is toast from the wreck, left valance and grill might be OK, horns - check, glass is bulky and hard to store and ship, drums may be damaged but will look again, locks - check, rack - check, brake items - check, buckets tough to get to the bolts without a jack to get wheel well clearance, fender bolts - check.  Bart - I probably won't be around in 20 years!

BTW - is there any demand for stock brake calipers?

Edited by jfa.series1

27 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

It always helps to get additional eyes on a yard find - thanks for all the comments.  I'm not finished with this one and appreciate the tips.  The center valance is toast from the wreck, left valance and grill might be OK, horns - check, glass is bulky and hard to store and ship, drums may be damaged but will look again, locks - check, rack - check, brake items - check, buckets tough to get to the bolts without a jack to get wheel well clearance, fender bolts - check.  Bart - I probably won't be around in 20 years!

BTW - is there any demand for stock brake calipers?

Haha good one ! I'm 50 in 20 years from now. But I agree with Chas haha, we might have the hoarder disease :blink:, but maybe like Chas says it's a whole different ball game over here..

Here's a thread about junkyard Zs that some of you may be familiar with.  Just as Jim Arnett recently found the '73 240Z, there are still a good number of Zs that can be found in American salvage yards today. I know that here in Colorado, there aren't as many as there used to be, but they still can be found.