IGNORED

My Hoarding of Z Parts

JLPurcell

I've been buying S30's and scrapping rotten S30's for the last 35 years.  I still find uses for some of the first parts I ever removed back in the mid-80's.  When I was young and started hording Z parts, I stored them in my dad's basement and garage.  When I entered the workforce, I moved out of state and started a new collection of parts.  A few years ago, my dad sold his house and moved to Phoenix, so it was time to gather my parts and bring them back to Michigan.  It took a full 24 foot enclosed car trailer to get everything home.  Needless to say, my garage is rather full now.  

My current plan is to sell cheap or give away parts I don't think I will ever need to local Z owners in need.  If I can keep another Z on the road and reduce my clutter at the same time, I'm happy.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

I've been buying S30's and scrapping rotten S30's for the last 35 years.  I still find uses for some of the first parts I ever removed back in the mid-80's.  When I was young and started hording Z parts, I stored them in my dad's basement and garage.  When I entered the workforce, I moved out of state and started a new collection of parts.  A few years ago, my dad sold his house and moved to Phoenix, so it was time to gather my parts and bring them back to Michigan.  It took a full 24 foot enclosed car trailer to get everything home.  Needless to say, my garage is rather full now.  

My current plan is to sell cheap or give away parts I don't think I will ever need to local Z owners in need.  If I can keep another Z on the road and reduce my clutter at the same time, I'm happy.  

You are only a few hours away.;) Might be a road trip in the near future. Maybe bring my 12' enclosed trailer. 

I just wish I kept the "right" parts.  Way back when, it was difficult to know what would become rare and difficult to find.  I just thought I was saving parts that I would need short-term.  Now decades later, I realized that I tossed future valuable parts and kept things that are now a dime a dozen.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Jeff, same here. It is impossible to know what will or will not become rare. In the end all of the parts are important and will be needed to put or keep another Z on  the road. That is really what is great about those who have had the time and space to set this stuff aside. I am currently looking for a rally clock to replace one that I practically or actually gave away years ago. Now, I see the importance of them in the history of the Z and I want one for my 72.  

• Like 1

I've been a Z car hoarder lately. I have 3 now and not enough parts to put them all together -so ......

Jerry, one of these days id love to see your projects. My wife works on the Richmond campus sometimes- I might drive her there if I could get some Z stuff in!! 

IMG_1019.JPG

Edited by madkaw
  • Like 1

I might need a road trip too! LOL. I kept wondering why there's so little parts on the net to be find... So it's all under someone's bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I find this all too true. I come across a huge stash of parts in someone's shop, that haven't been touched in 20+ years and the owner will not or can't bring himself to part with anything in case "he might need it", regardless of the fact his cars are complete and he has no plans to start another project. Then he passes away and usually another "hoarder" buys the kit or inherits it and the cycle begins again.....!
Our car club promotes a policy of "share the wealth" where members actively try and put needed parts back in to circulation when they are done their projects and have no plans for more to try and increase parts availability to other enthusiasts.
Everyone has the right to collect, no doubt, it's just sad to see parts rust away in a hidden barn for years and then never get used when so many people are looking for rare and hard to find parts. Especially in Canada!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wheee! said:

Unfortunately I find this all too true. I come across a huge stash of parts in someone's shop, that haven't been touched in 20+ years and the owner will not or can't bring himself to part with anything in case "he might need it", regardless of the fact his cars are complete and he has no plans to start another project. Then he passes away and usually another "hoarder" buys the kit or inherits it and the cycle begins again.....!
Our car club promotes a policy of "share the wealth" where members actively try and put needed parts back in to circulation when they are done their projects and have no plans for more to try and increase parts availability to other enthusiasts.
Everyone has the right to collect, no doubt, it's just sad to see parts rust away in a hidden barn for years and then never get used when so many people are looking for rare and hard to find parts. Especially in Canada!

I knew a old guy who rebuild Model A, he have 4 or 5 whole cars sitting in parts in his barn. He rarely do any restore now and they are rusting away. Hope 240z community can keep this from happening and help more people who are new to this game. Although Michigan doesn't have too many survivor Zs I'll sell whatever I don't need and buy from the community. 

I know of a gentleman who has over 50 Zs just sitting outside rotting away. There are 3 large building stuffed with parts and a dozen or so running cars parked on asphalt. I asked if he had any ZX 5-spds - "nope". I counted 12 cars with them.  How about gas tanks? "nope". There was a pile over 20 feet high behind one of the buildings. How about side marker lights? "nope". We were standing next to a 5-gal bucket filled with them. One of the cars was a ZXR. A small tree was growing out of the hatch.

No doubt all of this treasure will be lost to the Z community.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gnosez said:

I know of a gentleman who has over 50 Zs just sitting outside rotting away. There are 3 large building stuffed with parts and a dozen or so running cars parked on asphalt. I asked if he had any ZX 5-spds - "nope". I counted 12 cars with them.  How about gas tanks? "nope". There was a pile over 20 feet high behind one of the buildings. How about side marker lights? "nope". We were standing next to a 5-gal bucket filled with them. One of the cars was a ZXR. A small tree was growing out of the hatch.

No doubt all of this treasure will be lost to the Z community.

These are all reason that I try and trade what I have for what I need. If I can't trade I will go through periods where I put items on ebay to invest the monies back in my Z projects. Sometimes when I find a rare part I purchase it with no current need but know that it will be needed by someone sometime and I can possibly trade for something rare that I need. It all keeps the parts in circulation for Z car lovers and preservers. 

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 2