IGNORED

running a tubeless tire on stock tube type rim?

280z

Will it work? I guess the only reason it wouldn't work would be if the bead on the rim was not standard and if the valve stem hole did not accommodate modern plug-in valve stems. Can anyone confirm that it works? This is for a spare btw...

Done all the time.

Just curious. What year and model is the rim off of? Tubeless tires have been standard equipment on new cars since 1955.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubeless_tire

Edit: Some Rally guys used to run tubes in tubeless tires, because it kept the tire inflated if you hit a rock and damaged the bead area of the rim or tire. I did this on my Rally 510.  Off Road drivers do the same thing.

Edited by Chickenman

4 minutes ago, Chickenman said:

Done all the time.

Just curious. What year and model is the rim off of? Tubeless tires have been standard equipment on new cars since 1955.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubeless_tire

Edit: Some Rally guys used to run tubes in tubeless tires, because it kept the tire inflated if you hit a rock and damaged the bead area of the rim or tire. I did this on my Rally 510.  Off Road drivers do the same thing.

Sorry I meant to ask, can you run a tubeless tire without a tube in a stock rim meant for tube type tires. it's the original spare tire for my '75 280z. it's never been replaced.

Stock rims on 280Z are tubeless.

Spare tire rim though, is a space saver tire I believe. At least it is on my 1976. You shouldn't put a regular tire on it. Don't even know if you can, because a space saver is a special size. I'll have to check my spare tire after breakfast... still a bit of " morning Fog " 

I guess I wasn't clear enough.  Yes, a tubeless tire will work on that rim without a tube. Clear enough?? 

The rim is not manufactured as a Tube or Tubeless type. You just change the valve stem. That's the only difference. Either type of tire can be mounted on them with or without a tube. It is a universal design. 

You only need tubes in some really old style rims, ( pre-1956 ),   or if you have wire wheels with spoke holes in them.  

Edited by Chickenman

My 7/76 has a space saver Yokohoma in it. But I don't think it's stock. Wheel well looks like it takes a full size tire. FSM has no information on spare tire. Haynes manual has an addendum that says all 280Z's from 1975 have C78-14 space saver tires. S30 Wiki says 1977 and up 280Z's had space saver with sloping rear deck and an enlarged fuel tank. FWIW...  :wacko:

Edited by Chickenman

Tubes can generally be inserted in to any tire and rim combination.  You have to be sure that there are no sharp points or edges on the rim, or the inside of the tire though.  And, as you mentioned, finding a tube with the valve stem in the right spot is important to avoid twisting the tube.  Finding the right tube might be difficult.  Chickenman says it's done all the time so he'll probably have a manufacturer and model number.  You might have some luck searching the tire size and "tube" on the internet.

I just went through a similar exercise with a wheelbarrow tire.  I taped up the inside of the rim with duct tape, but had to use a poor fitting valve stem.  I'll just limit my top speed to 2 mph instead of letting it rip at 3.

That's pretty funny.  I misunderstood the question myself.  

The most useful answer, although not a direct answer, computing all supplied details is - the 1975 spare tire is already a tubeless rim and tire combination.  If it has a tube it's because somebody put one in afterward.

To the side bar though - I don't think that running a tubeless tire on a tube type rim is done all the time.  The rim has to be designed and sealed to prevent leaks.  There's no need to do that if the manufacturer knows there will be a tube in there.