IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

Hi All,

RedBird has a problem I'm at a loss to know what it is.  I need you all once again.  She started out having some change in engine sound at the very top end in 4th gear.  It sounded like she was under a lot of overload, this would happen if I used the pedal for a little more gas.  Then it started happening in 3rd gear, when it happens, there is no increase in power, and the rumble sound is accompanied with a small vibration.  As of now, she goes right into that event right after getting into 3rd or 4th, when applying gas to move on up to proper speed.  As of Sunday something new.  Just driving along at 55 and the engine quits. No gas pedal, no sound, just coasting.  It went for about 3 seconds, then the engine caught up and ran fine.  Except for trying to get back to speed, then it had rumble rumble and no increase.   I have to drive her more slowly and use lower shifting speeds to avoid the rumble rumble.   Then ease her very slowly up to chosen speed.

Today is the first I've been out since then, 12 mi to Dalton.  At first she did not want to start, got her going twice more, and about 2 min later she stopped.  Started her again, all OK then.  Coming back from Dalton, she shut off again while driving, for a longer time, about 6 -7 seconds before restarting. Then again within another minute, for only 2 sec.    We were near home, uneventful rest of trip. 

That's it.  Ask away, or better yet tell me what to do.  I have no idea.

Thanks loads folks, I'm sure you know what to do.

Jai   :unsure:

• Like 1

Can you give more detail on the "rumble" noise?  I got: a rumbling noise, a lack of power under load, and sudden engine dying, as the three main symptoms.  

Have you checked the air filter and housing?  Maybe a rodent moved in.  I've seen 'em do it.  It's a great home, with a private entrance.

Wasn't the engine suddenly dying one of the original problems? 

Just now, heyitsrama said:

Was there a specific RPM range that it did not like to be within? How do the spark plugs look? Fixing it is where the fun is :)

I have a non working tach.  So rpm's are a guess.  Oh forgot to say, spark plugs are black dirty.  Tailpipe has soot too.  Well come on over and have fun fixing her.  Hahaha...

Thank you

Jai

Edited by Redwing

Just now, 240260280 said:

I wonder if the distributor or ignition system has a fault? Spark scatter at high Rpm, spark scatter causing pre-ignition under load,   and intermittent cut out of ignition?

I cannot say.  After several good repairs, RB had a lot of gremlins left when I got her.  But then rcb280Z sent me an ECU,  and all remaining gremlins quit.  Except the spark plugs.  They have been that way, and new ones blacken soon.

Thank you

Jai

Edited by Redwing

Just now, Zed Head said:

Can you give more detail on the "rumble" noise?  I got: a rumbling noise, a lack of power under load, and sudden engine dying, as the three main symptoms.  

Have you checked the air filter and housing?  Maybe a rodent moved in.  I've seen 'em do it.  It's a great home, with a private entrance.

Wasn't the engine suddenly dying one of the original problems? 

As I try to describe the rumble, it is a deeper sound, that sounds like the motor is straining, like under a load.  No I have not checked the air filter, will do that tomorrow and report.  Yes the engine stalling, dying, was one of the original problems.  But once the ECU was put in, that never happened again.  The ECU inserted was quite a while back, off the cuff thinking it was end of summer thereabouts.  She has run real well ever since, with no problems.

Totally off about ECU into RB.   It was Feb. 2016.  She has run so smooth and good I lost track of time.  

Jai   :D

Thank you,

Jai

Edited by Redwing

second the temp sensor, need to check the resistance AT the 35 pin plug for the ambient temps.

you should replace the plugs as well. Lastly a check of the cold start valve (not likely but still something that should be checked).

1st thing to do would be a pressure test of the fuel.

All the above assumes you are having fuel mixture issues based on the plug observations. New plugs will help with the diagnosis since if they quickly foul again then is almost for sure a mixture issue and not an ignition issue.