IGNORED

HELP PLEASE

jsdeleon

Hi all, I am new to this forum and to Z cars. I bought my 1982 280zx non turbo from my neighbor who had it rotting away in his garage. I started with the motor, got it running by basically running through and replacing all of the obvious things like; injectors, plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, water pump, radiator, thermostat, any hoses that were bad, computer, coil, cap and rotor, and so on. I had this thing running perfect so I moved to the inside and completely restored it. Long story short I was getting very close to being finished when I noticed fuel leaking from the rear of the car. The leak seemed like it was coming from the fuel pump so I decided to replace it as well. I thought this would be simple which it was BUT........now the car runs horrible!! Bad idle, horrible acceleration, black plugs, I can barely keep it started when I let off of the gas, and it all started after I changed the fuel pump. I thought maybe I got a bad pump from O'Reilly's so I ordered one from Z car source and got the same result. Like I said, this is my first Z car so I'm learning as I go, any help would be appreciated because I'm all out of ideas.

Did you work on anything at all in the engine bay?  Sounds like you knocked the CHTS plug loose.

You'd think that the filter should have caught any crud that was stirred up.  A fuel pressure measurement would tell if the fuel supply is correct.

• Like 1

Did the leak stop?  If you got that stopped I think you should put a new metal fuel filter in the engine bay then a clear plastic Fram G3 fuel filter in between the tank and the pump. That way you'll see crud before it gets too far.  I can provide some links on this in the morning if you don't have them already. Simple stuff.

I see you replaced the filter already but if you have a dirty tank it'll clog up quick.

• Like 1

Did the leak stop?  If you got that stopped I think you should put a new metal fuel filter in the engine bay then a clear plastic Fram G3 fuel filter in between the tank and the pump. That way you'll see crud before it gets too far.  I can provide some links on this in the morning if you don't have them already. Simple stuff.
I see you replaced the filter already but if you have a dirty tank it'll clog up quick.

Siteunseen,

Yes the leak stopped but, I would take the leak back if I could get the car running like it was before changing the pump...LOL!!!
Links would be great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The only thing I did in the engine bay prior to changing the fuel pump was disconnect the battery in order to kill power to the pump.

The CHTS is in the vicinity.  If it's connected, a meter reading at the ECCS connection would be worthwhile.  I'm all about taking measurements before replacing anything.  It's cheaper.

I agree but, what is the CHTS and the ECCS?? Sorry if that's a knucklehead question but I'm not familiar with the terminology associated with these Z cars.

The Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor is on the rear passenger side of the head between #5 &6.   Zed is right, just across from the battery area.

ECCS is Nissan's  Electronic Computer Control System.

(To keep things straight for the OP, only the turbo models had the ECCS system, I think Zed was referring to the ECU connector for the stock NA ZX factory setup)

Edited by S30Driver
clarity
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

The Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor is on the rear passenger side of the head between #5 &6.   Zed is right, just across from the battery area.

ECCS is Nissan's  Electronic Computer Control System.

Man I was about to call you liar, liar pants on fire.  My 79 does not have it.  It seems in 1980 is when they moved from Water Temp sensor to Cylinder Head temps sensor.  Checked FSM to confirm.  Love learning.