IGNORED

HLS30-00006 at the Crusher?

Carl - I miss stroked.... Alan still has #6 and Dave Stone has #8 which he bought a few years ago and had it repainted. If you get a chance look at the before and after pics.
I'm still trying to get an answer as to the "crusher" heading and it's meaning.

I'd like to hear the reason for the crusher heading also

Sent from my LG-D850 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Obtuse Joke:  Legend has it a Canadian model posing on top of the 240z crushed-in the roof when the car was in Canada at an auto show. It was then given to Bob Sharp to race.

I found a photo of the car at a Canadian auto show in early 1970 along with what seems to be the car... but I think the horse behind it is to blame.

600 hls30-00006 Montreal Jan 15 1970.jpg

20 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Looks like the bumper over-rider was removed between NYC and Boston... probably left outside on the street unattended for a few minutes...

Same model?  Maybe she had something to do with it?

HLS30-00006.jpg

This photo is from the New York International Auto Show in April, 1970.  The picture is from the article which included the famous conversation between Albrect von Goertz and Bob Sharp.  If the story of the crushed roof is true, the timeline would mean that this is a different car from the Boston show or the Montreal show.  If Bob Sharp received his car in February 1970 then this is not HLS30-00006.

Take a look at the trellis over the display.  That's the award winning display design used by Datsun on the 1970 car show circuit.

NYIAS program_cover 1970.jpg

New York Intl Automobile Show -April-1970.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z
Brian Fade and Speeling
  • Like 1

The plot thickens... I guess that may explain the over-rider bar appearance in NYC too.

The Boston Auto Show window seemed to jump around a bit (~ March 1910 and January Now) but it is clearly Nov in 1971 when the first Lamborghini Miura SV was shown.... so we can assume the 1969 HLS30-00006 photo is from November.

Edited by 240260280

On 1/9/2017 at 9:43 PM, 240260280 said:

Hi Chris,

I'm having very little success tracking down the dates of early New England International Auto shows/ Motor shows or Boston Auto Shows/Motor shows.  The current event (New England International Auto Show) is the third week of January so if the slot was held back to 1970 then the photo below would be from Jan 1970?  Would you have more details on the time?

Thanks!

The New England International Auto Show in Boston was held at the War Memorial Auditorium October 25 - November 1, 1969.  From then, Datsun 240Zs were displayed:

Los Angeles - October 31 - November 9, 1969

San Francisco - November 4 - 9, 1969

Detroit - November 15 - 23, 1969

This according to Robert O. Link; National Sales Manager.  Sales Bulletin NS-69-008

Of course, that's U.S.A.  Your Montreal find raises many, many questions about Canadian sales and distribution information that I do not have.  Was it the same car as Boston?  -Or-  Is that model Pamela Anne Eldred and is she responsible for the famous race car?  Wouldn't that be outrageous?!  She was at the Boston show along with Gunilla Knutson and Sally Scheffield.

Edited by 26th-Z

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, 26th-Z said:

From then, Datsun 240Zs were displayed:

Los Angeles - October 31 - November 9, 1969

San Francisco - November 4 - 9, 1969

Detroit - November 15 - 23, 1969

This according to Robert O. Link; National Sales Manager.  Sales Bulletin NS-69-00

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, 26th-Z said:

Datsun won an award for the "Most Beautiful Exhibit" at the Los Angeles show in 1970.  That exhibit design is very different from the 1969 traveling exhibit design.  See what you can find from the San Francisco Imported Car Show in November 1969.  There's a difficult car to explain!

LA Auto Show 1970.jpg

Wow, great stuff Chris.  Where did YOU get this info from?

I love your sarcasm!  Where the hell have YOU been?  Alan and I have been talking about all sorts of things - not a word from you!  Please!  Jump in on this conversation and help set the record.  Here we were.  Searching and searching for the Toronto show...

Toronto

The National Motor Show ended in 1967 and, for a while, Toronto had no auto show at all. It was up to TADA, the Toronto Automobile Dealers Association, to set the stage for a comeback in 1974. The new venue was the International Centre in Mississauga, which hosted the show until 1985. (Wheels.ca; News Features / Industry News, Auto Show History; From Horses to Hitler, Jil McIntosh, Nov. 12, 2012)

The final year of the official Motor Show held at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) was 1967, although it would later be the site of special automotive attractions held elsewhere on the grounds.

An official auto show did not go unnoticed. The Toronto Automobile Dealers Association decided to organize a new annual event. First known as the Toronto International Auto Show, the inaugural eventI

...and up pops this jokester with a picture from Montreal!  duhh!  Kinda like finding the Boston picture.  I broke down and paid The Boston Globe to search their archives some time ago to find a couple of interesting things.  So, if Bob Link doesn't say anything about Montreal, what does that mean?  Just how many cars did Datsun have in North America at the time?  Evidently, far more than has been thought.  Did you see the pictures of the red car at Daytona?  From an old Nissan video on YouTube!  How the hell was that missed?!?!!

Jump in on this - what do you think?

Edited by 26th-Z

Chris,

Good news.  I had dinner with a friend who works in the local archive and can access much more content. He will give his help to find out what happened in Canada in these early car shows.  Hopefully he can get a better scan of the Jan 1970 Montreal paper with the 240z in the snow too.

For the Red, Green, ???? for the first 3 cars, and the mystery Dec 20th test car,  I think a lot can be sorted by clarifying if the R&T Cover car is HLS30-00008 and if it is Silver or Red. Also finding out if the 2 additional silver test cars did any extra non-testing duties in car shows and ads with badges. It seems they were in some brochures w/o badges.

111.JPG