IGNORED

[2017] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Alright, I read the story.  Now I feel right and wrong at the same time.

Looks like you could have used some "O" of OCD - "  Unfortunately I didn’t do much besides glance at it. (Keep that in mind.) "

I'm impressed overall, that you were able to mentally assemble a tool inventory and get them all packed up and out there.  Most of us would have come up at least a tool short.  Kudos.

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Alright, I read the story.  Now I feel right and wrong at the same time.

Looks like you could have used some "O" of OCD - "  Unfortunately I didn’t do much besides glance at it. (Keep that in mind.) "

I'm impressed overall, that you were able to mentally assemble a tool inventory and get them all packed up and out there.  Most of us would have come up at least a tool short.  Kudos.

Assembling the toolkit has become habit for me due to work. To give a little history, apparently the current owner bought this car from someone who started tearing it down as a project and got bored part way through. If I had of looked at the car in that condition, I would have run away screaming and not stopped until I got to Texas. The owner has the car close to running. As soon as it is running, I will pester him to fix all of the known safety issues (i.e.: right rear cylinder leak, leak in the hose between the bowl and carburetor body in the front carb) before he hurts the car, himself or someone else.

I should add that part of writing it all up is to demonstrate going through a series of diagnostics instead of throwing parts at the problem. The issues with starting and running in this case can be resolved with a new battery and a 3.0 Ohm Flame Thrower coil. That's relatively cheap IMHO.

Edited by SteveJ

This is my favorite part of the story from your Fiddling page - " That was when Michael went looking around in the shed. He came back out with the aftermarket AC evaporator. It had the TIU attached to the backside of the bracket that held the evaporator in place. "

The full size cool-looking aluminum finned 260Z TIU?  Maybe he thought it was overheating...

LOL Whoever installed the aftermarket AC must have decided that he needed to move the TIU to get the evaporator in. Lord knows why he hid the TIU behind the darn thing. Michael didn't even realize he removed the TIU when he pulled the evaporator out a few days ago. He seems very willing to learn, though, so I think the days of mistakes like that are numbered for him.

Here's an interesting sidebar. The data plate in his car gives a build date of 3/74. Mine is from 12/74. Sometime in between the builds Nissan relocated some of the components. In my car the TIU and its connector were on the passenger kickpanel, and the fuse box was mounted above that area but a little closer to the firewall. In his car, the connector for the TIU was on the firewall, and it appeared the TIU was probably originally on the firewall, too. The fusebox was mounted about 4 inches lower than in my car on the kickpanel.

Edited by SteveJ

• 2 weeks later...

Attended the 1st monthly meeting of the North West Arkansas Z Car Club  (NWAZCC)

Discussed the startup articles, goals, and positioning for membership in ZCCA.   Highlight of the night, as Zup  pointed out, was 2 owners of original Scarab's sitting at the same table.

More to come....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

Nice.  Dave make quality stuff.

Did you have to do anything to adapt it for your car, since he designed it to be plug & play with the 240?

Yep, good stuff from Dave.  He has an alternate kit for the 77-78. It's not plug/play but all I needed to do, per instructions, was cut one wire and run power from the battery. Very simple.

• Mike pinned and locked this topic