IGNORED

Looking for advice on replacing all the hard brake lines

grannyknot

Got the package from Fedhill today, everything looks good, just a couple of strokes with some 0000 steel wool and you get a mirror finish on it.

240Z 1972, are the brake hose fittings double flare or DIN flare (mushroom)? I'm having some SS braided brake hoses made up and now I'm not so sure, sure looks like DIN to me.

DSCN0752.JPGDSCN0753.JPGDSCN0755.JPGbrake-fittings-flare-types.pngDSCN0751.JPG

My notes say, 'double (not bubble)'.  A better point of reference, though, may be the chart (with photos) that appears on the FedHill website:

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common flares6.pdf

Note in particular the picture with caption that reads, "10mm x 1.0 Asian nut with SAE/double Flare".

Now, compare that with the picture immediately below with the caption, "10mm  x 1.0 metric nut with DIN/ISO flare"

From these pictures, it looks like the best way to visually detect the difference between the two is to look at the flare from the side and check the contour of the back/bottom side of the flare (rather than the front/top side).  The back side of the DIN bubble flare is almost flat/square.  The back side of the SAE double flare is tapered (45 degree angle).

Edited by Namerow
fixed rogue line spacing

18 hours ago, grannyknot said:

John, that link really lays it out clearly, I missed that when I was on the Fedhill site.

Good refresher for me, too, because I had nothing in my notes to back up the 'double (not bubble)' comment and all the usual Z-car references (FSM, Wick Humble, etc) seem to overlook this point.

Good luck with the 'flailing machine' (sorry, Travel'n Man. I couldn't resist :D)

18 hours ago, grannyknot said:

John, that link really lays it out clearly, I missed that when I was on the Fedhill site.

Good refresher for me, too, because I had nothing in my notes to back up the 'double (not bubble)' comment and all the usual Z-car references (FSM, Wick Humble, etc) seem to overlook this point.

Good luck with the 'flailing machine' (sorry, Travel'n Man. I couldn't resist :D)