IGNORED

Rotisserie Mounting Points

Careless

I don't think welding a bar across would do anything but add weight... it's not flexing side to side- they're both drooping a bit in the same direction..  the added bar would just droop too.

Going to shim the gaps and see what happens. 

Edited by Careless

Lots of nice designs.

I never worked on a car on a rotisserie. My main reason was I needed to work on the frame.  Though I wish Id have one, would make working underneath the car easier. Maybe I will use one on my next project if it needs it.

I have the same rotisserie and bought the Mopar mounts since it's a similar setup to the Zs. You have those rear arms extended pretty far. I mounted mine to the front and rear bumper mounts. My first step was to make sure that those bumper mount areas were nice and strong. I've done an early 71, 72 and 75 on the rotisserie and had no issues. It's been very stable and I've rotated them many times. You can see lots of pictures on my Facebook page (Chuck Buczeskie). Look for Ken's restomod, 72 240Z race car and 75 280Z race car.

Chuck

18 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

I have the same rotisserie and bought the Mopar mounts since it's a similar setup to the Zs. You have those rear arms extended pretty far. I mounted mine to the front and rear bumper mounts. My first step was to make sure that those bumper mount areas were nice and strong. I've done an early 71, 72 and 75 on the rotisserie and had no issues. It's been very stable and I've rotated them many times. You can see lots of pictures on my Facebook page (Chuck Buczeskie). Look for Ken's restomod, 72 240Z race car and 75 280Z race car.

Chuck

The mounts i am using are the ones that came with the rotisserie. the ones i made slip over the end of those. the only length I added is the horizontal 3x3 cubes mounted to the car. the rest of the mount itself that i welded to is 100% fully supported by the original rotisserie mounts. what i mean by that is ... the original arms go all the way to the end of the tube that is slipped over them, and actually touches the 3x3 cube from the inside. I only added about 3.5 inches to the length of those arms. I don't understand how that could be too far or how we have the same rotisserie in this case. Mikes photo with the red tube is a good depiction of how much material i added.

Here's a photo of a nearly identical hoist: 

rihMbMl.png

the arms shown there look to be the same length, and the mounts seem like they're no more than 2 inches shorter than what I've come up with.

Today I had someone play with the hoist while I looked under and over and whatnot, and it seems like most of the flex is the rotisserie itself. I could not find any flex in the bumper mounts themselves, but when moving the car, it did dip to one side, which I thought was weird. Just about every tube needs to be shimmed to prevent flexing in almost every area. My only issue with that is... i  don't want to transport the car at twirling height. So installing shims on the parts that move will be tough at the sand blasters. I put some shims on the extension arms and it seems ok.

I guess I'll have to shim up some more and see how she goes.

Edited by Careless

11 hours ago, geezer said:

After removing the tail light assemblies, you could adapt a few more fastening points using existing holes. Not a very good pic but it illustrates a very stable set up that I have used.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... velly intellesting. amazing what's possible when the parts in the way are removed. LOL

i'll have to F with the tail lights tonight and see if this is a viable approach to added security.

My main concern is it not dropping when the guys are blasting it. I don't want shift that blame over to anyone or be the cause of injury, so I'm liking this tail light hole idea.