IGNORED

Winter Storage using Water Wetter

TomoHawk

Higuys,

I was using Water Wetter during the summer, and I can also say that the temperature gauge was reading slightly lower than usual since adding the Water Wetter. :) 

But winter is coming and I won't be driving the car, so I'm wondering if I should do anything with the coolant.  Will coolant with Water Wetter added freeze during a normal winter (30 to about -5 F)  or can you spike the coolant wit an anti-freezing additive?  You wouldn't want to risk damage to the engine just to save a few bucks, but switching back to full-strength antifreeze is a bit too much to just sit in an unheated building too.  You'd have to flush the whole cooling system several times with water to go back to the summer mix again, wasting water and antifreeze.

thxZ

If your coolant is 50/50 antifreeze/water that you added the 12oz WW to then you will be fine, I have had that combo in my vehicles down to -30C with no problems.  But it kinda sounds like you are running straight water and WW, if that is the case you will have to drain half your coolant and top it up with full strength anti freeze.

You can't get on a track even with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze, so I have to use water in the summer.  I think if I at least go with a 70/30mix, it should be fine for storage, and just draining it in the Spring will get it to where the scrutineers will pass the car.

I'd better check on my stock of antifreeze.  I think I have an unused jug somewhere.

Edited by TomoHawk

16 hours ago, TomoHawk said:

You'd have to flush the whole cooling system several times with water to go back to the summer mix again, wasting water and antifreeze.

Are you confusing Water Wetter with the Evans system?  You can mix Water Wetter with antifreeze.

http://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/conversion-installation/

https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

Zed

I think his point is the track tech people don't want antifreeze in the cars on the track.

Tomo

Why don't you just drain the car until warmer weather shows up. Store the solution in jugs. This might be a problem if you plan on driving during the winter but you are pretty far North for that. The block can't freeze if it's not full of water... 

• Like 1

I see.  It seems like the real question is "how much antifreeze is too much?" for the track inspectors.

I didn't see his second post. He just needs containers and space for storage.  Carry on.

Edited by Zed Head

• 2 weeks later...

What I did was to drain a gallon of whatever the mix is, then I topped it off with a gallon of antifreeze.  In the Spring I will drain the whole thing and fill it with distilled water & Water Wetter.  Evem if you drain the cooling system, there is still water in it somewhere.

Maybe someday someone will come up with an additive that is just good enough to keep the water in the engine from freezing so you can store the car.

Edited by TomoHawk

If the engine isn't full of water the freezing won't crack it. It's the fullness and lack of expansion room that causes the problems. When I winterize my boat I can't get all the water out of it but since 80% of it is out the last 20% can't break anything...

Yeah, I was considering draining most or all of it, then putting it back in for Spring, but I first wanted to circulate some good stuff with the additives in it.  It's too bad you can't just get a bottle of something with the additives to boost whatever coolant mix you have (or maybe there is.)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like I got the engine drained just in time.  It froze last night, and the weather forecast for the next week is for cold and snow.

I will  just fill the thing with water in the Spring, with some Water Wetter.

Is there an anti-corrosion additive like you get in antifreeze? Water Wetter only provides a lubrication improvement.

• 3 weeks later...