IGNORED

1971 240Z for sale (un-restored, original 39000 mi car)

ewittinger

Hi All,

I have finally come to the decision to sell my 240Z. I am working though some of the issues of the car sitting in my garage for too long with out enough use but want to get some general information out there to see if anyone is interested in the car. I am still digging though some of the papers from when I got the car so the following information may change some in the next few weeks.

1971 Datsun 240Z

VIN#: HLS30-12427

Manufacture date: 10/1970

Mileage: 39,000 (origonal)

Condition: Un-restored

History on the car (as far as I know):

I am the 4th owner of this Datsun 240Z. The car was originally a gift to its first owner (husband got it for his wife, new from the Nissan dealership). The Z was then sold in the late 1980's to gentleman who owned it for approximately 8-10 years  (no details available). This gentleman then the car was sold to another gentleman (who lived in WA) that ended up storing the Z in his garage for several years before moving it to a dry storage out build he had. He put approximately 500mi on it in the 7 years he owned it. His wife was putting door dings in the driver/passenger door paint when she was getting out of her car and that resulted in the move to the dry storage. He had the door that had the paint chips repainted in the original color. Since I have owned the Z it has been in my garage. I have managed put about 2000mi on it in the time I have owned it.

Background on how I ended up owning this car:

I was restoring a late 1970 Datsun 240Z (mostly done other than a motor rebuild) that was in a head on collision (not my fault, but the car was totaled). After searching for quite a while I found the car is pictured below to replace my restoration project. I took many of the new salvageable parts from my wrecked 240Z and have replaced the worn out parts on this “new Z”. This includes most bushing and many of the rubber parts that rot out over time. I pulled out the original 2.4L motor and auto transmission after putting maybe 500 miles on it and put in the motor from my wrecked Z. The original motor and transmission are stored in my garage next to the car.

Original Engine 2.4L:

Looks amazing not quite like it day it came from the factory but great for 46 years old. Appears all original with E31 head with matching numbers block. Everything is in working order. With most of the factory parts still on the motor (spark plug wires, hoses, ect). The original radiator was original recently rebuilt with and added extra row for additional cooling. The radiator has the connections for the automatic cooling.

Current Engine 2.8L:

Currently the car has a 2.8L motor. The engine smokes a little when you start the car and really get on the gas. This motor has a E31 head rebuilt with hardened valve seats. The bottom end  is the part of the restoration on the motor I had not gotten to yet when the first 240Z was wrecked.

Exhaust:

The original exhaust was replaced with a 2.5” exhaust to match up with the header obtained off of a Japanese 240Z motor (more below on this). The original system is gone. The Japanese header was ceramic coated before it was installed.

Intake:

40mm Mikuni Solex’s that have been rebuilt. Everything  was gone through and replaced all worn and damaged parts, as well as re-plated all hardware back to its correct plating coloring. The Mikuni’s sit on a HKS manifold with a custom heat shield. Less than 500mi on the rebuilt carburetors.

Transmission:

The car originally came with a 3spd automatic. The automatic transmission was removed at the same time as the original motor and store with it. A Japanese manual 5 speed that I had sourced for my other early Z restoration was installed at the same time as the 2.8L motor. This version of the 5 speed has a Datsun Roadster tail housing which allows the shift arm to sit in the correct position without having to modify the body. Also along with this transmission was obtained the correct drive shaft. These parts came out of a right hand drive 240Z from Japan that was shipped to the US and also undergoing restoration when the auto body shop that was doing the bodywork burned down and the body was not salvageable. I purchased the drive train which include a 2L (inline 6, how the early 240Z came in Japan) along with the 5 spd transmission and Mikuni Solex’s as well as a header.

Interior:

The interior is original black and in almost new condition. The door panels are original 70 door panels (they are different from a 71). The dash is in perfect condition, no cracks or fading.  The original AM radio and the power antennae. This 240Z had dealer installed A/C that I removed since it was not charged. All the A/C parts are in storage and go with the car. If you want to add the A/C system back you will have everything to do so. The original spare tire. Driver seat show a little from getting in and out of the car.

Body:

Original gold color (color code 920)

Passenger door has quarter size paint chip (see pictures).

Hood has a few rock chips (see pictures).

The bumpers are original and straight.

All chrome is in good condition.

Electrical:

The following kits were put on the car to improve the life of the original wiring:

From Dave at http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/contact-us/ :

Headlight upgrade harness

Parking light upgrade harness

Side-marker conversion plugs

ZX alternator adapter plug E (not currently installed)

Documents:

Original owner's manual and warranty book is included.

Replacements and upgrades:

The original master brake cylinder was rebuilt.

Front brakes were upgraded to the Toyota 4x4 dual piston calipers (originals were stored)

Shocks were replaced (originals were worn out), and new lower springs were installed.

Panasport 16 wheels were installed. Original wheels and hubcaps were stored.

New battery, and battery cables.

Front chrome bumper overrider was removed since it was damaging the paint on the hood (stored).

I have pictures from the day I picked up the car, and pictures I took a few weeks ago that show the few changes I have made.

More information and pictures will follow as time allows.

The pictures attached are from the day I bought and drove the car home.

Eric

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

DSCN4868.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still working though some of the items I need to clean up before setting a price. There are lots of extras with the car also that I need to figure out value on. Hoping to get more current pictures up this weekend and a list of extras that go with the car.  Currently thinking around $30,000.

Where else will you be advertising?  Just curious.  Hope you don't mind but I reorganized your list just to try and get a feel for the details of the whole package (to fit the way my brain works).  Does it look right?   All of this for the asking price, as a package?

1971 Datsun 240Z
VIN#: HLS30-12427
Manufacture date: 10/1970
Mileage: 39,000 (origonal)
Condition: Un-restored

Body: Original gold color (color code 920)

Engine2.8L 280Z motor. The engine smokes a little when you start the car and really get on the gas. This motor has a E31 head rebuilt with hardened valve seats.  Original radiator rebuilt with and added extra row 

Intake40mm Mikuni Solex’s from Japanese RHD car.  Rebuilt. HKS manifold with a custom heat shield. Less than 500mi on the rebuilt carburetors.

Exhaust: The original exhaust was replaced with a 2.5” exhaust to match up with the header obtained off of a Japanese 240Z motor

Transmission: Japanese manual 5 speed with Datsun Roadster tail housing which allows the shift arm to sit in the correct position without having to modify the body. 

Brakes: Toyota 4x4 dual piston calipers 

Suspension/wheels: Panasport 16 wheels, lowering springs.

Interior: The interior is original black and in almost new condition. The door panels are original 70 door panels (they are different from a 71). The dash is in perfect condition, no cracks or fading.  The original AM radio and the power antennae. The original spare tire. Driver seat show a little from getting in and out of the car.

Documents:
Original owner's manual and warranty book is included.

Electrical upgrades:
From Dave at http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/contact-us/ :
Headlight upgrade harness
Parking light upgrade harness
Side-marker conversion plugs
ZX alternator adapter plug E (not currently installed)

Extra parts:
Original 2.4L engine:  Appears all original with E31 head with matching numbers block. Everything is in working order. With most of the factory parts still on the motor (spark plug wires, hoses, ect). 
2nd spare engine - 2L from Japanese RHD car
Original transmission - 3spd automatic. 
AC parts - This 240Z had dealer installed A/C that I removed since it was not charged. All the A/C parts are in storage and go with the car. If you want to add the A/C system back you will have everything to do so. 
Original front brake calipers
Original wheels and hubcaps 
Spare Front chrome bumper overrider 

Hi Zed Head,

I am working though the stuff I have for the car. Going though 10-15 years of Datsun stuff in my basement and in my garage takes some time. I have to find and make sure I have everything I listed in the original add and make corrections if I don't.

• 7 years later...