IGNORED

New Power Steering Option

djwarner

Needed to convert the power steering to electric on my Miata engine swap and ran across this option that will work on our Zs. What is neat is that you can dial in the amount of assist needed. And if you are so inclined you can add a tilt mechanism to the steering wheel.

Edited by djwarner

2002-2007 Saturn Vue or Chevy Equinox.

I got a salvaged unit yesterday and the control module is due to arrive this coming Monday.

Search Ebay for "Equinox Electric Power Steering Controller Box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182283275302?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The listing show exactly which models/years it works with. I will follow up with photos as the I progress. (It will be a couple weeks before the engine mounts are done).

When I got the Saturn EPAS unit in, I was surprised to see how closely it dimensionally matched the Mazda steering column. If I luck out, it will be a bolt in replacement. Since I have an OEM hydraulic power steering unit, I will have to disconnect and drain the rack and pinion.  

Edited by djwarner

I have been throwing around the idea of doing this for a while and since my car is in pieces at the moment now would be the time.  Just ordered the control box from Bruno on ebay.  These guys, http://zpowersteering.com/photos/   

have had this kit going for a few yrs now and looks pretty slick, I just can't get past the price, especially if I can build almost the same thing for a 1/10th the cost. I think their kit uses the GM Opel electric steering motor that seems to be a bit smaller then the Saturn Vue's. I have sent a question to Bruno ask if his control box will also control the Opel motor if I can get my hands on one.  Here are a couple links to other threads on the subject, http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125428-electric-power-steering-100-1500/?hl=zpowersteering#entry1172875

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124067-power-steering/?hl=zpowersteering#entry1159692

Maybe this thread could become the 'How To' if we pool our pics here.

For those interested, pre 2009 vehicles did not have the CAN Bus standards modern cars enjoy. This electric power steering system gets vehicle speed from the "Series 2 Data Link" and listens to the vehicle speed data sent from the Body Control Module to the Instrument Cluster. This is a single wire 10 KHz data link. Interestingly, GM has kept this network calling it the LIN (Local Interconnection Network) and it still feeds speed data to the instrument Cluster.

Apparently this data link does not have all the bells and whistles of modern CAN Bus and anybody can listen in. The Controller Box referenced in my last post apparently generates the equivalent of a vehicle speed signal that is adjusted by the potentiometer.

The Saturn Vue EPAS that I bought has a steering wheel collapse function like our Z, just a smaller range of collapse (3.5 inches). The u-jointed output shaft has a slip joint to make up for any change in length when tilting the steering wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if the output shaft actually reaches the rubber coupling in our Zs.

Edited by djwarner

I've been checking out my sons BRZ electric unit . Very compact . Some guy on Hybridz was working on using this unit but I haven't read about any finished products . 

It would be another level of refinement that I would appreciate !

I installed the ZPower Steering unit in my '78 280Z. It took me about 4 hours to put in mainly because of the size of the electric motor that goes under the dash. The 280Z is a bit more crowded down there than 240s and 260s so maybe it'll be easier in those cars. The unit is also very heavy (i guesstimate around 20 lbs or so) and I had to fabricate a a steel tubular brace to help support the weight, somewhat like a hammock attached to two points of the metal structure under the dash. That being said, the result is effortless steering with the advantage of being able to adjust via the rheostat type knob exactly how much assist you want.

So I pulled a electric assist steering motor from the wreckers yesterday, this one is out of a Chev Equinox but lets just call it the Saturn Vue motor, $50 so no complaints there, looks like a very well made unit, nothing cheesy about it. It weighs 14lbs and with a u joint and some additional bracing to hold it in place probably 16lbs, so far so good but there is a reason Zpowersteering didn't use this unit, it is bulky. The only configuration I could find to accommodate it and keep it out of the way involves cutting into the pedal/steering support box. It won't be difficult to fab up a brace to reinforce the pedal box and support the new steering assist unit but it sure isn't plug n play. With some scouring of ebayUK I'm sure I could have come up with the motor from the GM Opel that ZPS is using but ebay Bruno's inexpensive control box won't control the Opel unit...so. I think I can make this one work well but I may end up having some interference with the corner of the heater/blower unit. I'll have to pull it down and put it in place before I rig up the new bracing.

DSCN0594.JPGDSCN0595.JPGDSCN0596.JPGDSCN0597.JPGDSCN0600.JPGDSCN0601.JPG Here is a close up of the mod to the pedal/steering support box. The support box is still quite strong even with this big chunk cut out of it but it will be reinforced regardless.

DSCN0602.JPGDSCN0603.JPG

• Like 1